Whats the best map chip for garmin?

Discussion in 'Maps, GPS and Google Earth' started by Young-Gun, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Young-Gun

Young-Gun Well-Known Member

It was a great christmas! I got hunting stuff! Including a Garmin 450 Oregon. I am curious what brand map packs you all have used and seem to be good for showing State/BLM or any other public ground to hunt?

2. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

For any Garmin that will take a chip(and the 450 will) its a real easy choice=The only one you will ever need (per state of coarse) Check out the LRH store with the link at the top of the page or this link.
    I still get powerfull confused useing this chip and GPS but never lost :D
    GPS Hunting Topo Maps - Long Range Hunting Supplies and Gear

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in what you come up with, hunting WY is BS without a GPS and map card so next time I plan on having something set up!!!

4. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

It still pays to do a little homework as the chip has tryed to send us down some privet roads. I just bought a Garmin 50LM this fall for the truck and through it in my pocket for walkabouts. Best $200($10050LM and $100 chip) you can spend if your hunting Wyoming or other areas with a lot of mixed property=The fence lines dont mean didly!!!!

5. Young-Gun

I am told that some of the map chips have the land owners contact info (phone number) on them also is that true with these?

6. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Yes the new plat chips have landowner (ranch) names on them along with the hunt area boundrys. Lot of info and piece of mind for $100, sure makes hunting new areas a LOT easier!

7. GPSmaps

GPSmaps Well-Known Member

The Hunting GPS maps chip that is sold in the LRH Store is the only way to go if you are concerned with current private land ownership and public land boundaries. We've done a lot of research to make these maps the most accurate land ownership maps available. Other products you see out there just toss in a federal lands layer that does show public lands, but we have found there are many errors in the data they are using.

The best shot at avoiding the $120+ trespassing fines is to use the product that is trusted by game and fish agencies across the west - Hunting GPS maps

8. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

You betcha it is! I love mine and all the Wyoming Game Wardens now have a Garmin with the chip in them and they are using it to determine trespassing complaints according to the one I've known out there for about ten years.

9. Elk Addict

Elk Addict Well-Known Member

10. Young-Gun

got the maps for MT and ID they look great! only difference I can see from the paid versions is the landowners names.
    cant beat the price, still looking for WY maps also

11. bretterath

bretterath Well-Known Member

I ordered the South Dakota gpshuntingmaps.com and found out when I went hunting they don't have land owner names and who owns it. So that makes that chip no good for me very disappointed in product. When I ordered it it never said that the private land did not have land owner names on it, so make sure you check before u order

12. bretterath

Sorry it is huntinggpsmaps.com

13. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

They had two versions of the program last year and you obviously didn't read the difference and ordered the lesser priced one that doesn't include the names. They have dropped that one now and only offer the $100 version that has names on it.

14. bretterath

Well I will have to call and talk to another person because the person I talked to a month ago said that they haven't put any land owner names on it for South Dakota and said there would have to be requests put in by a number of people interested before they would do it. Thanks for the info I will call monday