Whats the best cold temp bolt lube ?

Moly does build up to some degree but that is not a down side . Even the build up has a lower coefficient of friction against itself than against the metal of the bore or bullet . The slight build up is the protective lamellar structure forming that makes it work . Those that continually clean it out get no real benefit .
It amazes me that some people say they are going to use moly to coat the bore but infact clean so often that no real coating can take place .
I was thinking about coating bullets when I wrote that, apparently this stuff cleans out really easy and doesn't build up so you wouldn't get fouling like you can with molly, but for the moving parts I agree a little thicker film isn't a bad thing at all, thinking that a guy could probably apply it dry with a Qtip or something. Not sure but it's worth a try.

I've been using rusty duck synthetec grease for years in light doses and it's been great. Temp. isn't an issue here; I'm running a but low and they don't make it anymore. I've shot in below zero temps and the stuff is fine. Btw, I shoot with a dry firing pin assembly and trigger assembly. Grease on lugs, bolt body, and extraction cam only.

I know it's not a bolt issue but just as important ... I was out at the Rocky Mountain Front yesterday elk hunting and ran into a hunter that apparently he was out the day before, which was a lot colder, and his trigger froze ... bull elk got away. Bummer!

I know it's not a bolt issue but just as important ... I was out at the Rocky Mountain Front yesterday elk hunting and ran into a hunter that apparently he was out the day before, which was a lot colder, and his trigger froze ... bull elk got away. Bummer!

Two years back, I lost a nice, old, big-bodied, Saskatchewan bruiser, because I put a few drops of WD-4- in my trigger (idiot). It froze up and wouldn't budge at only -5 Fahrenheit.

We had some sticky bolt issues in Wy last week. The temps got down in the teens or lower and we had some extremely stiff bolts. It was almost to the point where I thought I had head space issues or some debris was lodged in my throat. I could barely close the bolt. Both guns where using TM ultra grease, and very little. I would've never believed that a bolt could be that stiff. Any actual cold weather experience would be appreciated.

P.S. On a side note: I think when it's that cold and\or wet, it's good idea to dry fire your rifle to" potentially" break the firing pin free. That almost cost us an elk, even with a custom bolt. The firing pin didn't completely engage the primer and my buddy had to re-bolt, and thankfully the second time it fired. It was cold and snowy, with lots of moisture. I think it just froze up a little.

Thanks Brent

Weatherby uses powdered graphite in extreme cold weather rifles
gary

Actually thought about that, but I don't know anyone that's used it on their actions. I guess if weatherby uses it, its worth at least trying.

might be worth the effort to find out from them exactly how they do it, and perhaps what formula they are using.
gary

I grew up hunting in Minnesota. Hunted Colorado in extreme cold. I after degrease I would use graphite. Nothing there to freeze.

No tungsten sulfide, is like moly but without the downside of it adhering to it's self, so it doesn't build up

*** WS2 Oil. Your tungsten disulfide supplier. - Home

Amazon.com: BadFish Piranha Powder (WS2): Sports & Outdoors

Seriously thinking about getting some to try out

Well I tried buying some of that tungsten disulfide from that BadFish-Piranha-powder site on amazon.com, but a month went by with no transaction, and amazon canceled my order. Even tried emailing the company for a status report and got nothing. I still would like to try some but I'll have to find another site that sells it. The stuff almost sounds to good to be true.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.