Whats "LONG RANGE"?

I can't believe I'm letting myself get sucked into this question, instead of sitting back and laughing.

Just a few of my thoughts and beliefs. You can't answer this question for someone, only yoursef if you're honest.

Just a few of my thoughts when making a shot on game.

-what cal.
-what platform prone / off a bench
-do you take spotters or is your 1st shot the one that counts
-what are you willing to accept as a max 1st shot +or - POI. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10inches
-what do you consider min energy, or dont you care.
-what are the conditions / for those with ETH--- ok I wont say the "E" word although most of us live by it. wind angle etc.

I cant answer this question for you, If you put in the practice and time loading shooting and laying up at night thinking when it comes time to pull the trigger you will know in your heart if it's right or wrong.... DONT let anyone tell you what is right or wrong for you and dont feel you need to be able to shoot as long as the next guy. I have been fortunate enough to shoot and hunt with some people on this site that most would consider good solid long range hunters. Also had the chance to see a few others blow shots that I feel were not hard shots. It coud have been the pressure of experienced guys watching or just LOA. Do you want to post and article about your hunt shooting an animal in the *** at close to 1K or shorten up and get into your comfort zone and put a DRT shot on it. Thats up to you but I know my answer.

Most of my hunting is done with a 300WSM or 6BR I limit my shots to the conditions of the day. I've taken deer past 500yards with the br and have also passed the same shot with the WSM due to poor conditions. All of the shots I passed with the WSM I would have taken on a good day without hesitation, and if I had the 300 RUM or 338 Lapua I would have also shot

Know your equipment, know yourself , I respect the guy who passes up a shot rather than *** shoots an animal just to say they killed something at long range.

I believe long range starts when you have to make scope adjustments to hit a target or animal and the extent is determined on an individual basis. What is easy for one may be a great feat for others.
-

I'll be honest with you, anything over 300 is still longrange to me. I will not take a shot a game any further than that, because I dont trust my skills enough to take a 500+ yd shot. I dont have anywhere to practice at those ranges, so I'm not going to send in a hail mary hoping for the best at a live creature. My rifle shoots sub-MOA when I can do my part, and I have drop charts and such, but until I do get to hit paper that far away, that will stay longrange to me. I know to most of you guys, 300yds is iron sight territory, but I'll get to 500+ in the coming years.

I'll be honest with you, anything over 300 is still longrange to me. I will not take a shot a game any further than that, because I dont trust my skills enough to take a 500+ yd shot. I dont have anywhere to practice at those ranges, so I'm not going to send in a hail mary hoping for the best at a live creature. My rifle shoots sub-MOA when I can do my part, and I have drop charts and such, but until I do get to hit paper that far away, that will stay longrange to me. I know to most of you guys, 300yds is iron sight territory, but I'll get to 500+ in the coming years.

Great to hear you know your limit. If you've been bitten by the LR bug 500 will come soon enough. The shooting part often comes easy It's the wind and other variables that cause limits. For now practice the things you can and spend time watching animals at long range for shot opportunity. It will make things easier when the time comes

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.