Whats going on here-Reloading query.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by robbobsam, Sep 18, 2010.

1. robbobsam

robbobsam Well-Known Member

I have managed to get hold of some 75grain V-Max bullet heads and am working up a load for them.

I have them grouping very well "sub .5" @ 100 and the ES is showing at 21 and the SD is showing as 9.

Problem is when I take the targets out to 300yds the spread on paper is like a shotgun splatter. (3"+)

Whats going on.

Can you offer any advice ???

Am I missing something obvious ???

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Glad to here things are coming together. 3" is 1MOA which isn't bad. Is your barrel completely free from the stock? Can't remember if we crossed this bridge yet. It just might be wind conditions and a matter of practicing.

Tank

3. robbobsam

The barrel is completely free from stock.

Its strange as the rifle easily does .5" at 100yds. It should in theory do 1.5" at 300yds not 3-4".

Its sooooo annoying !!!

4. robbobsam

The barrel is completely free from stock.

Its strange as the rifle easily does .5" at 100yds. It should in theory do 1.5" at 300yds not 3-4".

Its sooooo annoying !!!

Rifle is a Tikka T3 Super Varmint with a 1 in 10 twist stainless varmint barrel.

5. liltank

That can be bothersome. Did you notice any kind of stringing? Vertical, horizontal? What was the tendency of the grouping?

Tank

6. robbobsam

the groups were only 1.5" verticle, but 4" horizontal

7. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

The two things that come to mind is wind or scope parallax, if your parallax is a little out and your not positioning your head in the same place horizontally things move out side to side.

8. liltank

+1 on all the above. Sounds like some practice at that distance will tighten it up for ya. I had a 600 yard grouping of 3 to 3.5 inch horizontal and about 11 inches vertical. Hot barrel and loads are the likely culprit though it could have been me.

Tank