whats a good low recoil long range paper puncher

ks deerhunter

I have heard talk about how good bigger 30 cal guns are but is there a good cartridge that a man can shoot all day without losing a shoulder but still pack enough punch to take deer sized game at 750 yds or so. Im thinking about a new gun but dont know what to get. I am looking for something that would be a good all-round cartridge that is accurate to the big 1k mark but that is pleasant to shoot and still be able to kill a deer way out. I need some help can anybody steer me in the right direction?

A 6.5-284 will run ballistically just about the same as a 300WM and be a lot easier on the shoulder (in comparable builds). With the right bullet taking deer to 750 shouldn't be a problem. And I think Savage is now building a factory gun in this chambering.

Should do the job rather nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

A 6MM BR improved with a 8 twist and 107 vld bullet. It has very low recoil an will do the trick beyond 1K yds and longer barrel life.
Old Bear

For the paper punching, 6BR or improved variants are your ticket for longevity and easy on the shoulder. If you are also wanting to shoot deer-sized game out to 750 or so, I think you would have to step up to a 260 to 708 class round to do so and still maintain your previous paper punching and easy on the shoulder mandate.

My rifle for that would be a 24" 7mm08 from LSR (Chris) set up to run 162 AMAX/SSTs and/or Berger or SMKs in the heavier weights (168 Bergers or 175 SMKs). You would be looking at 3-4000 rounds at a minimum barrel life, 1k performance, easy to load and easy on the shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6mm BR, would be a natural choice for paper punching out to 1K and even a little farther, but for taking deer out to 700-800 I would want a litle more umph, know what I mean?? I would think the 7-08 with a 162g amax would be your ticket. JMO.

Here's a vote for 7wsm. Pretty easy to load to mild levels like a 7-08 or boost up on par with 7mm Rem mag. Overall a versatile cartridge, easy to load for, and definitely will take you to a 1,000 yds on paper with good loads and a well built rifle. Recoil is mild with a muzzle brake. Also,7wsm has decent factory ammo available with the 160 Accubonds if you want to go that route. My wife shoots one in a M70 Coyote with an Ops-Inc muzzle brake and it recoils far less than the Ruger M77 6mm Rem she shot previously. Sorry, but I have to part company on the 6mm's. Had one, wife used it also, and the 270 and 7mm's have much more convincing take-down power especially the farther out you go.

[ QUOTE ]
6mm BR, would be a natural choice for paper punching out to 1K and even a little farther, but for taking deer out to 700-800 I would want a litle more umph, know what I mean?? I would think the 7-08 with a 162g amax would be your ticket. JMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, have to agree with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A 6.5x284 or a 284 or a 280 or a 7mm-08, or a 308 or a 260 or a 6.5-06. I would go with eitherthe 6.5's shooting the amax if you can or the 7mm shooting the 162gr. amax or the accubond.

I would have to go w/ screech on the .308. You can walk into any sporting goods store in the U.s. and get good ammo for a .308 and the recoil to me is like shooting a .22. Plus it will easily take deer out to 800 yards and paper punch up to 1200 w/ a longer barrel.

I went with a 243 AI and it is a good flat shooter at close range (500 yrds). It's my coyote gun. I was launching 70 grn bullets at 3820 fps with H414 a couple of weeks ago. Could of went faster but that was a more accurate load. Going to work on another load that is not so sensitive to temperature changes.
Probably have to jump up to 87 grn or more to get out to a 1000 more consistently, but those 70 grain bullets shoot pretty good. The 87's shoot better though from what I have heard.

Isn't the 243 based off the 308 brass?

I just did a rechamber/modify of a factory rem barrel to the improved version. Its easy to reload for. Don't know if I will stay with the same chambering though when I rebarrel it.

I bought it for a coyote/mule deer/long distance gun, but it blows big holes in coyotes unless you don't hit bone. Scared to take it on a mule deer hunt though but I am a bow hunter and used to hitting an elk with 65 fp of kinetic energy I believe it is. Bullets are different than razor blades though. The furthest I have shot is 600 yrds with it.

thanks for the info and resons behind all this stuff. I can someone tell me a little more about the 6.5-06 sounds interesting as well as the advantages of a 6.5 over a 7mm or vice versa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One advantage to the 6.5 is that you can shoot lighter bullets faster and still have a good bc. The advantage to the 7mm is it packs more at long range using good bullets.
This will change depending on how fast of catridge you are using. A screaming fast 6.5 using the same bc bullet as a 7mm will smoke it for trajectory but the energy may not be that much different at long range. If you are going to be shooting deer and smaller critters the 6.5 would get my vote but the 7mm is also a great choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts