Whats a good 1000 Yard Range finder?

Roy, i've been following the newcon 2000 posts and have been impressed. they seem to be on par with the swaro or possibly able to range farther. every time someone posts about them, i usually ask some stupid questions!

Dave,

Those suckers seem to reach way out there. Beyond the Leica 1200 LRF in most cases, from what I've heard.

Hi roy,

I was elk hunting this Friday-Saturday and I was ranging with Newcon 2000Pro at elk cows on full sunny day, with the sun in front not from behind.
I ranged 1150yards, no further cows past that distance.
I ranged trees behind them at 1250yards with sun in my eyes.
Unfortunatedly no legal bulls around. So next time...

Chris

Last edited:
Roy, i've been following the newcon 2000 posts and have been impressed. they seem to be on par with the swaro or possibly able to range farther. every time someone posts about them, i usually ask some stupid questions!

Hi Dave,
Just go and borrow one pair of Newcon 2000Pro and use them for one day.
Than let me know if you like them for the money and performance comparable with leica geovid, swaro 1200.
You know your limits... Mine are somewhere 1k and for now this rangefinder works perfect past my limits. In time 1-2 years, with different equipment I can dream about more, and in that case I will need to upgrade my rangefinder with newcon 3000.

Chris

i'm in about the same boat, 1k is my limit unless i can take a sighter and get away with it. my bushnell will range to 1k with good conditions but man, when that sun gets bright, 6-700 is about tops depending on what you're bouncing off of. i have a military coincidence ? rangefinder that will go to 1650 but the accuracy falls off as you get past 1k. i have a really good place in W.Va. where i can shoot over 1k in both directions looking straight in on the opposite mountain. also have another place where we (Buffalo Bob) can go to 1400+. hopefully he can air out that 7AM at something. i'm gonna sit down there and wait for the turkeys to show up and see if that Edge will kill one of those. we need some frost to get the leaves off the trees!

I have used or owned most of the rangefinders on the market, If you truly only need one that will range to 1000yds then my choice would be a leica (very dependable,reliable and consistant).
UB

Have owned and used both the Swaro and Leica BRF. The Leica is much better to look through, but its weakness is hot, humid, hazy days at least in South Texas where it is a sub-tropical climate. In these conditions, it will not consistently range a dark colored cow beyond 300 or 400 - as in a Santa Gertrudis not an elk. The Swaro is the better LRF, but the Leica BRF is the better all around package. If you use the Swaro, take a good set of binos also.

I took it to my shooting range here in Florida, 92 degrees 90% humidy, sunny and shdy both, ranged the berms and targets easily at 1000 yards, ranged some cows in the field, the ones I could hold steady on went to 1200, any further it was my limitations, with a tripod I'm sure it would have gone farthur.

Well, I had been moderately satisfied with my Bushnell Elite 1500 until I went shooting this weekend with a friend who brought along his Swarovski. My Bushnell would read the same numbers as his when ranging steel targets at just under 600 yards. Mine would actually give the range a little faster. When we moved to 1033 yards it was a whole different ballgame. His would range every single time. He could even range the upper end of the field (nothing reflective there, just trees and grass) and get numbers around 1300 yards. My Bushnell never even gave me a reading on the steel targets. I couldn't get anything even with sitting down and holding it as still as possible. He actually borrowed my Bushnell for a few days and played with it, then decided on the Swarovski. I really don't want to have to spend more money, because my wife will kill me. But, honestly, I am thinking of selling the Bushnell and getting something different. I think that if 600 yards is the limit, then the Bushnell is fine. Go past that and I start getting very frustrated. Like I said, my friends Swaro was getting ranges without the need of a reflective object. Mine would need a mirror past 800 yards I believe to get a decent repeatable reading. Since there are not too many times that you see a deer standing next to a street sign, I think the Bushnell is history for me.

Hi guys,

I could use your expertise. I am new to long range shooting and the LRH site. I now need a rangefinder that can match my gun's capability. Like many, I don't have unlimited funds to spend so I am trying to get the most for my money. I am looking for a rangefinder to accurately range elk out to 1000 yards consistently under a variety of hunting conditions, but I don't plan on taking shots beyond 600 to 700 yards. My question is two-fold
  1. Is anyone familiar with the Newcon LRM 1200 or the new 1800 and 2200 models?
  2. Is the Bushnell 1500 going to meet my needs?
I will pay for quality. I just don't want to pay big dollars and not receive a big performance in return. I appreciate your recommendations!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I could use your expertise. I am new to long range shooting and the LRH site. I now need a rangefinder that can match my gun's capability. Like many, I don't have unlimited funds to spend so I am trying to get the most for my money. I am looking for a rangefinder to accurately range elk out to 1000 yards consistently under a variety of hunting conditions, but I don't plan on taking shots beyond 600 to 700 yards. My question is two-fold
  1. Is anyone familiar with the Newcon LRM 1200 or the new 1800 and 2200 models?
  2. Is the Bushnell 1500 going to meet my needs?
I will pay for quality. I just don't want to pay big dollars and not receive a big performance in return. I appreciate your recommendations!

Just a word of caution for anyone reading this thread. The majority of the info is from 2007. There has been scads of changes and technology if laser RF's since then.

For the best bang for the buck today in 2013, I would go with a Leica 1600 CRF. I have tested many many RF's and when you look at the combination of enough laser strength and a small enough beam divergence to actually be on what you are trying to range at 1000 the Leica is a hands down winner for the under $1000 club. Just because you get a number fast it does not mean a RF is not grabbing something more reflective before or after the intended target. Trust me on this I have seen many top brands fail.

As for the Newcon, well I have not tested the recent units in the last few years. But when I did test a couple before the glass was comparative to milk and the aiming reticle was like throwing a net. Not precise at all and a large reticle with a large beam divergence will get you in trouble. That is why I tossed the Swaro's, they will lie to ya and they did it to me at a very bad time.

So, some things to watch for is a beam that is quite a bit smaller than 6 feet at 1000 yards, and a small aiming reticle. Leica has both. Swaro, Zeiss, Newcon or Bushnel do not.

Jeff

Just a word of caution for anyone reading this thread. The majority of the info is from 2007. There has been scads of changes and technology if laser RF's since then.

For the best bang for the buck today in 2013, I would go with a Leica 1600 CRF. I have tested many many RF's and when you look at the combination of enough laser strength and a small enough beam divergence to actually be on what you are trying to range at 1000 the Leica is a hands down winner for the under $1000 club. Just because you get a number fast it does not mean a RF is not grabbing something more reflective before or after the intended target. Trust me on this I have seen many top brands fail.

As for the Newcon, well I have not tested the recent units in the last few years. But when I did test a couple before the glass was comparative to milk and the aiming reticle was like throwing a net. Not precise at all and a large reticle with a large beam divergence will get you in trouble. That is why I tossed the Swaro's, they will lie to ya and they did it to me at a very bad time.

So, some things to watch for is a beam that is quite a bit smaller than 6 feet at 1000 yards, and a small aiming reticle. Leica has both. Swaro, Zeiss, Newcon or Bushnel do not.

Jeff

thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts