What youth rifle for my son?

Just wanted to update this with some details now that the build is complete and we have been able to use it for a while. With the brake on the 308, my son is very comfortable with the rifle using bullets in the 150gn to 168gn range. He has probably put around 200 rounds down the barrel over a number of sessions. He is getting 1" to 2" three shot groups at 100 yards, and hit a steel gong at 300 yards shooting off a bench rest.

I think once we get an opportunity to hunt with it, he will be fine with shots out to around 100 yards, which is where I will limit him for the time being.

i am a remington / sako guy. i like the idea of getting a adult gun ( rem 700 ) and putting a youth stock on it. i like the idea of a muzzle brake. just use muff and puffs . the .243 for me has been deadly. even an elk. 28 deer some atelope, 250 coyotes.

i am a remington / sako guy. i like the idea of getting a adult gun ( rem 700 ) and putting a youth stock on it. teh stock ca be found cheap. i like the idea of a muzzle brake. just use muff and puffs . the .243 for me has been deadly. an elk. 28 deer , some atelope, 250 coyotes.

That is my present plan to get of full sized rifle and putting a youth stock on it. I think that I am going to end up getting a .243. But, the plans changed a little since I originally posted this. My 16 y.o. daughter decided she wants to take up hunting and shooting now. So now I need two rifles. She is a lefty. Couldn't make it easy. So with budget constraints I have not bought either. I have looked at several options. Taken both of them to gun stores to handle different rifles. My son doesn't care what rifle it is. He just wants one. My daughter on the other hand seems to be kind of picky. She wants the stock to be pink and black camo. She doesn't care what rifle it is as long as it looks pretty. Ha ha! I guess we will just keep looking.

Look at the T/C Encore. You can buy the pink/black fore-end and butt and a different set for your son. That way you can get different sizes and colors for different shooters. Also left/right is not a problem as it is a single shot. Once you have the frame you can buy another caliber barrel and change it out easily. The only problem is it is a great concept but kind of pricey in my opinion.

That is my present plan to get of full sized rifle and putting a youth stock on it. I think that I am going to end up getting a .243. But, the plans changed a little since I originally posted this. My 16 y.o. daughter decided she wants to take up hunting and shooting now. So now I need two rifles. She is a lefty. Couldn't make it easy. So with budget constraints I have not bought either. I have looked at several options. Taken both of them to gun stores to handle different rifles. My son doesn't care what rifle it is. He just wants one. My daughter on the other hand seems to be kind of picky. She wants the stock to be pink and black camo. She doesn't care what rifle it is as long as it looks pretty. Ha ha! I guess we will just keep looking.

I have 5 daughters. enjoy.

I built two .243s for my Daughters with a BROGHTEN barrels, I got with an old friend who is a gunsmith ,he had two nice stocks, I had him cut down two inches on the end and they love them.
Only one(the oldest) filled her tag with a nice Doe. they love my .223 most, they know its not for Deer. They were built on Remington actions. Both have 2x7x32 Burris scopes that are about 15 years old. This would be the first choice for any kid. once they grow older you can get another stock. very accurate out to 300 yards.

I concur with the TC Encore. My son, eight years old, shot three whitetails last year with his. He shot them all using the 45/209 muzzleloader barrel. I also have a 223 heavy barrel and a 7mm-08 barrel. Without a brake the 7mm-08 has too much recoil in my opinion.

He loves the muzzleloader barrel. It shoots well, recoil is light and under 100 yards it is a real killer. All three of his shots were between 75-100 yards and it performed great.

The componets are not cheap but are easily resold as well. Much cheaper than playing mix and match with bolt action parts. I'm seriously considering a 44mag barrel for him as well. It should match the muzzloader barrel ballistics and give him some more range time.

Okay, I just read every post/reply to this thread. I have a 10 year old that will hunt for the first time this season. I have a 25-06 browning abolt that I would like for him to use. My plan is a youth model stock and leave everything else as is. Anyone end up doing this?

I ended up going with a TC Encore in .243. It is still a bit long for him but he shoots it really well. Shot his first hog with it a couple of months ago. I tried a friends 25-06 that he had cut down. The recoil was still a little much for my son. But he is a little guy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 10
i would definitely take a look at the ruger compact. me and my wife both have one in 243 and we both absolutely love them.

I agree with the Ruger. I bought my Son one in 308 with the digital camo that he just had to have. Took it out along with a Remington SPS Tactical and guess what the Ruger outshot the Remmy by a wide margin. I believe Ruger has finally got it right with the v block bedding system.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.