What Would You Do?

300 something. No use changing caliber when you've already got all the parts.
WSM
WIN
WBY
Launch 180, 200 Accubonds
Or the bigger higher burgers if your shootin past 7-800.

I'm having my ol -06 turned into a 300WSM. I live, & hunt in the same state you do, & it seemed like an Awesome build. A long action WSM. All the room I could ever need for seating big bullets.

***However if you want a dedicated 1k+ Elk hammer, the 338 sounds irresistible.**

Thanks for all the responses. I have looked into doing a 30-06ai and it just seems like way to much trouble for not much gain at all. I talked to Elkaholic about his .300 sherman and it sounds awesome but I don't want to go through the trouble of fire forming and having to pay for custom dies.

Im kind of leaning towards the 300 win mag at this point but who knows.:roll eyes: I eventually would want the rifle to have a magazine but its not a huge deal right now. If I went that route I would have to open the bolt face up, have the barrel reamed out to 300 win and eventually feed rails modified, spring and follower with the Wyatt's box. The only real reason Im debating over the .338 and 7mm right now is I figured the barrel was worth way more unfired than if I fired it and then changed my mind. I know I could probably call Hart but does anyone have an idea what the barrel is worth? Its a 10 twist #7 M40 contour fluted stainless 26", and teflon coated barrel. Anyone have any idea what the barrel weighs?

Say I did keep it as is and leave it 30-06. What do you think the ideal bullet, load, etc would be for elk at long range and in your opinion how far could I shoot?

I know Im jumping all over the place but there is so many different possibilities with this its kinda fun to think about! :D

Thanks

Say I did keep it as is and leave it 30-06. What do you think the ideal bullet, load, etc would be for elk at long range and in your opinion how far could I shoot?

I know Im jumping all over the place but there is so many different possibilities with this its kinda fun to think about! :D

Thanks

In my .308, I can push a 208 a-max, and 210 Berger to 2550-2620 fps using RL17. I suspect that you could push a 208 a-max, 210/215 Berger, to roughly 2650-2700fps in a regular 30-06. Using H4350, RL17, or Ramshot Big Game or probably Hunter, you should achieve those velocities. That will get you to the 800yd range I would imagine. The 185 Berger would probably be the optimal bullet for that caliber. I personally would use the 185 Hybrid. You would have to run a hunting scenario where you hunt through JBM or some type of ballistics program to really see how far you could shoot. I'm not familiar with elk hunting altitudes and temperatures. The higher you are, the farther you will be able to reach. I know guys say 1500ft lbs is the minimum, but have a feeling with a Berger you could probably go to the 1300ft. lbs. mark. So where ever the velocity drops off at that point is where you would want to gauge your distance.

Thanks for all the responses. I have looked into doing a 30-06ai and it just seems like way to much trouble for not much gain at all. I talked to Elkaholic about his .300 sherman and it sounds awesome but I don't want to go through the trouble of fire forming and having to pay for custom dies.

Im kind of leaning towards the 300 win mag at this point but who knows.:roll eyes: I eventually would want the rifle to have a magazine but its not a huge deal right now. If I went that route I would have to open the bolt face up, have the barrel reamed out to 300 win and eventually feed rails modified, spring and follower with the Wyatt's box. The only real reason Im debating over the .338 and 7mm right now is I figured the barrel was worth way more unfired than if I fired it and then changed my mind. I know I could probably call Hart but does anyone have an idea what the barrel is worth? Its a 10 twist #7 M40 contour fluted stainless 26", and teflon coated barrel. Anyone have any idea what the barrel weighs?

Thanks

It's worth more unfired but you'll lose a lot on it compared to replacement cost. The coating won't add squat to the value. Realistically you might struggle to get 300 for it and the replacement cost is going to be close to 450 for a fluted barrel plus you get to pay a gunsmith to install the new one.

With 208's or 210's you should be able to get 2750-2800fps with a 26" barrel. I'd call that a good 800yd gun for elk.

If you change your mind about custom dies etc., you might want to consider my new 300 cartridge (30/375 S.I.) It requires minimal fireforming after sizing down the parent brass (375 Ruger). It is true that you would have to open the boltface but that is a small expense when you are having it rechambered anyway. The 30/375 advantages are the following IMO:
1. available beltless brass
2. 9 % capacity increase over 300 WM
3. far better barrel life than 300 RUM
4. fits in std. magazine

Mine is presently being chambered so I don't have exact data as yet, but I am expecting 3100'+ with the 215 berger out of a 28" barrel. There are a lot of us that think the 95 gr. case capacity is just about the perfect balance for a .308" for velocity vs barrel life. I am expecting to duplicate Dakota ballistics, with the way its throated, and have far cheaper brass........Rich

If you change your mind about custom dies etc., you might want to consider my new 300 cartridge (30/375 S.I.) It requires minimal fireforming after sizing down the parent brass (375 Ruger). It is true that you would have to open the boltface but that is a small expense when you are having it rechambered anyway. The 30/375 advantages are the following IMO:
1. available beltless brass
2. 9 % capacity increase over 300 WM
3. far better barrel life than 300 RUM
4. fits in std. magazine

Mine is presently being chambered so I don't have exact data as yet, but I am expecting 3100'+ with the 215 berger out of a 28" barrel. There are a lot of us that think the 95 gr. case capacity is just about the perfect balance for a .308" for velocity vs barrel life. I am expecting to duplicate Dakota ballistics, with the way its throated, and have far cheaper brass........Rich

Still waiting on bated breath!!!:cool:

I'd go with option e as my budget is small at the moment. I recently bought the stainless 700 rod-reel combo in 30-06 at bimart for $440. It shoots the 175 bergers at about 2700fps @ 1000ft. I'm going try the 210's next, and I'm hopeing to get my most accurate load up to atleast 2500fps. The 190's were accurate, but they were only about 2400fps.

My elk killing minumum is 1200ft-lbs. The last one I killed was at about 1250ft-lbs with the .284 diameter 168gr berger, and I was very impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.