What would be the best way to close a barrel channel?

Southernfryedyankee

I just got a new stock and it appears that the barrel channel will be ALOT wider then any barrel I will eventually use. It looks to be 1 1/4" wide at the forend and would like to get it to almost .900. It is a rifle that I am building in increments so I will not be getting a barrel for it for quite some time. What can be done to close up the barrel channel when the time comes?

Put a layer of blue painters masking tape down the length of the barrel then cover that with a layer or two of duct tape(to your taste) on top of that. Then just bed it like you would an action. Once you remove the tape you should have a free floated barrel, if you have a tight spot you can sand it down.

Chris

ok that makes sense. The only thing is I have never bedded an action b4. I think im gonna hire a proffesional for this job. THANK YOU

Put a layer of blue painters masking tape down the length of the barrel then cover that with a layer or two of duct tape(to your taste) on top of that. Then just bed it like you would an action. Once you remove the tape you should have a free floated barrel, if you have a tight spot you can sand it down.

Chris

Exactly.

Make sure you put release agent on the tape. lightbulb

I stuck the last one. I was pushing on the stock with the barrel resting on the cusion on my chair. When it let loose the barrel launched up and caught me between the eyes. It's been a couple weeks and the swelling has almost gone away.:D

I would also think about ruffing up the barrel channel of the stock so the bedding bonds well to it.

3M makes a 10-15 mil thickness heavy electricians tape that is available in widths that'll wrap a barrel. It's flexible so it'll form to odd contours.

This is a great tool as it'll allow you to build in your gap as you lay up your resin. Bondo can work for very thin repairs but remember it's a polyester resin and talc. There isn't a whole lot of strength there so if your shooting from a bipod or using this gun in the field it can lead to a crack. An epoxy is a better choice IMO.

Hope this helped.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.