What was your initial reason for getting into reloading?

I am getting into reloading (RCBS kit, dies and shell holder should arrive tomorrow) because I am getting into the mechanics of shooting, I have begun modifying my rifle, and reloading was a logical next step for me...That and with over 400 assorted 308 brass lying around, I can save some money

Shooting a 6.5x55 in the 80s as a teen with no money and only Norma loaded ammo was availble.

Pretty easy choice and I have been reloading ever since and glad to.

Good shooting

BT

Grew up liking guns, had an uncle take an intrest in me, showed me how much fun it was to make your own ammo. Got into it big time later on, and did a lot of studying, asking questions, doing a lot of shooting, and learned more in the last 15 years because of the Internet. Buy every thing in bulk and when it's on sale. Wife hates it because I don't spend the money on her. After 40 years of marriage, it's a lot more fun. It is what it is.

I was a poor kid and the 'ol man bought me a Lee loader, a pound of IMR4350, a box of 85g hpbt sierra bullets and some wlr primers. I don't think it cost 40$.

I didn't kill myself and I wasn't yet 14 years old. My dad did take some of my reloads to shoot prairie dogs with that I was going to take apart because they were too hot. He blew a primer and I had to pop the bolt open with a 2x4. I still have the loader and rifle. It still shoots pretty good too. It must have been in the late 70's.

Anyway the reason was I couldn't afford factory ammo. I think it cost 7$ a box and reloads were about 4$ but my dad would buy me bullets,powder,and primers.:)

Maybe I save money, maybe I don't, but it sure is fun and rewarding loading my own ammo for all of my guns. I have my son and nephews interested in loading, shooting, and hunting. There is nothing more satisfying to spend time with my son teaching him the skill of reloading and harvesting a deer with loads that we made ourselves. Being able to tweak a rifle with different bullets, powder charges to were that particular rifle will shoot it's best and perform better that your average factory loads you buy. However, the premium loads that are being produced by Hornady, Federal, Winchester, etc. Shoot almost as good as hand loads do now, but I would rather build my own.
Concerning our freedoms in this country can be scary to think about with the way our government and these radical marxist think or lack of ability to think at all about the way they want to tell what we can do or not do or what is best for us, NUTS. I have found myself stocking up on things just because of the rising cost, if anything.
The Bible tells us to worry for nothing because we will not add a day to our lives worrying, so I try not to. That doesn't mean we can't plan for the worst. People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan, so it may be a good idea to stock up a little more, we may need it one day just to put food in our mouths- shooting supplies that is.lightbulb

I reload because the range closes at sundown, you can only clean your guns so long.

Seriously, started reloading as a young teenager when I found out I could make more accurate and better preforming ammo.

As a 15 year old I bought a sendero special in 270. Worked up a load that shot 140 grain nosler BT's into 1/4" groups center to center. Cut that group out and carried it in my wallet for the remainder of my teen years!

I started reloading about 2 years ago to save money. Well that hasn't worked out too well But I am now shooting way more than I thought I would. Plus shooting tiny groups with ammunition assembled with my hands and my tools is a very good feeling.

Initially, it was both economic reasons, as well as hobby. It was a good past time, and as far as that goes, it still is. However, then I learned that I could really fine tune the loads, and Taylor them to the gun, and not just the caliber. Reloading, or better yet, ( Hand- loading) , has became a art form to many of us, and in some ways is very specialized. The accuracy gains in factory ammo nowadays has came along way, but I will take my Handloads over them anyday. That's pretty much it in a nut shell. IMHO

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.lightbulb gun) 7STW.

Started out to be a money saver, which it is. After buying a 6.5x284, I was limited to factory ammo, which seemed restricting. Now that I'm reloading, I'm able to fine tune the loads to my rifles. Reloading has brought a whole aspect to shooting. I didn't want to just reload without understanding the whole aspect of ballistics, there is still a ton of that to do. This sight helps a pile. Thanks to all who post, I am learning a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts