What to start with? Kirby?

old_heli_logger

I'm thinking about taking the plunge; I've never owned a custom rifle and I've always wanted one. I plan to start gathering pieces and parts. I guess my first consideration would be a good receiver/action and stock.

I like the sound of the .338AM or Edge maybe even the .375AM (this build will be years in the making, so maybe there will be better bullets available for the .375 by then...).

I don't mind making it a single-shot...

My problem is that I'm a lefty. What would be a good action? I'd like a custom, but I don't know if anyone makes a left-hand custom action (Bat, Borden, Nesika...etc.). I'd even consider a right-action/left port...Would a left-hand LA Remington 700 handle the .338AM?

I like the looks of the McMillan A-5 tactical stock, do they make one like that for us lefties?

I'd also like to get Kirby to build it for me...:D

Sorry for the long post...I think I'm dreaming.

Last edited:
For me, some of the criteria were:

How heavy of a gun am I willing to live with?

How much recoil am I willing to take at the bench and at practice?

What will I be using it for? i.e. will I have to carry it for any length of time?

What critters will I be using it on?

How many shots per year do I plan on running thru it?

How much time and effort am I willing to spend reloading for it (that's also including the time to prep the brass if not an "off the shelf" cartridge).

Those were some of my criteria when I looked at a custom gun.

Hope this helped a little.

Thanks Esshup!!
------------------------------------------
For me, some of the criteria were:

How heavy of a gun am I willing to live with? --I'd like it to be a carry gun, I can pack a stout load though, so maybe ~18 lbs...less would be nice, but I'm after accuracy too

How much recoil am I willing to take at the bench and at practice? --not a problem here...

What will I be using it for? i.e. will I have to carry it for any length of time? --hunting and target shooting out to 1k...

What critters will I be using it on? --everything :D (hence, the .375 caliber)

How many shots per year do I plan on running thru it? --100 to 200...maybe a few more

How much time and effort am I willing to spend reloading for it (that's also including the time to prep the brass if not an "off the shelf" cartridge). --I love the hobby of reloading, so this would be a hooooot!
------------------------------------------
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Well then the .375 that I shot @ Kirby's would be just the ticket then! I believe that it was right at 18 or 19 pounds with a NF scope, but no bipod. While I wouldn't want to shoot it for an extended practice session even with the brake (say 30+ shots) it was more of a push than a thump in the recoil department.

It knocked Kirby's steel gong over on the 2nd shot at 868 yds. Search for a thread titled "Thanks Kirby" for images of the target and some info. If I remember correctly, he said that there was over 10,000 fpe at the muzzle.:eek:

Not sure where you are planning on hunting, but some states (Idaho) have weight restrictions on rifles. I believe Idaho is 16 LB's. I personally would go with a 338 Edge because that's what I have planned. The Edge or something similar will get a lot done with a balance of power, powder consumpetion, recoil, and a bunch of accuracy with the 300 SMK's from a well built rifle. I just think you have a lot of versatility with one of the big 338's. Put a good brake on it and it should be fine to shoot off the bench. Planning is (almost) the best part - ENJOY!

Nesika Bay Precision builds left handed actions.

For the cartridges you are describing, you'll need to go with the M action due to the large bolt face (.590") The M has a .750" bolt body diameter.

If its a single shot, then it's an easy and simple build. There are three receiver diameters available. 1.350, 1.470, and 1.700.

My advice, stick with the 1.350. Despite what many may claim. the 1.350 diameter will run this gun just fine. Order the fatty recoil lug (.312) and get a drop bolt so it clears your optics. I advise a Sako extractor for this cartridge. Get your brass as soon as possible. If it's Lapua stuff be sure to measure the rim thickness, it tends to run on the heavy side which is fine, but be sure to let Nesika know so there's no problems with the extractor lipping over the case mouth.

I used to be their rifle dept production manager, so this is all from experience.

If a single shot, I'd advocate no ejector. It's not needed, just reach up there and grab your fired case. No sense in slinging 2.00 brass all over the creation for necks to get dinged up and loaded with dirt and funk.

Sounds like a great project. Good luck with it.

Oh, the McMillan A-5 stock is ambidextrous. It won't mind the L/H action one bit. If you order a Nesika, I advise to get it in the Remington style tang for this stock. Just looks better with the way the back end transitions down to the grip. The heavy tang will work fine also, but I like the Remmy style for cosmetics.

Sunny Hill Enterprises makes a very nice single shot trigger guard in SS that'll match the action real well. Nesika also offers action screws with extra deep allen sockets. Ask for a front screw estuchean too. they look sharp!

Cheers.

Chad

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc (Coming Soon)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.