What to prep for paint with?

James Jones

I wa just wondering what some of you guys use to wash a gun or stock down with before you paint it? I've been using Acetone and haven't had bad results but a friend said that Denatured Alchohol would work better with less chance of the paint not sticking.

any of you fellas have any comments?

JD, I've also used acetone with good results, never tried denatured alcohol.

ive never had a problem with acetone on any of my repaint projects. strip the old stuff, prep with acetone and a scotchbrite pad, prime, paint, done.

wish i could post some pics of a HS i just skim-bedded & refinished for a friend of mine.

basecoat of flat sand (spraycan rustoleum), layover coat of textured forest green(spraycan rustoleum), airbrushed some random blotch patterns of dark grey, airbrushed over the middle of the dark grey with some light grey (gave the spots a raised look) then black-webbed it.

turned out really nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What's the process for black-webbing?

On wood stocks I just remove the old finish by sanding prime and paint. Have had good luck with outdoor craft paint via airbrush and truck bed liner. Am about to enter the realm of auto paint and duracoat, we'll see.

the stuff comes in a spraycan(dont recall the mfr) that has a "webbing" nozzle on it. it does take some practice to get the pattern to look right though.

its available in some craft stores, comes in gold-black-white-silver, just ask for webbing spray.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts