What to look for in a bear guide?

porkchop401

Fellas, I am considering a spring spot and shoot bear hunt somewhere west of the Missippi .
Occasional we see one while elk hunting but not enough to gamble on a license .
I am from. Louisiana and though Arkansas has bears the terrain is not friendly to glassing. and shooting and season dates conflict with my local deer season.
any advise on outfitters and what is a reasonable price?
Are there ever any. forum group hunts.?

Go to the page with the various forums listed, and there will be one listed for LRH group hunts. Follow that down a bit and there is a spot and stalk group bear hunt. Wyoming, horseback, $4000. Was full, someone dropped, unclear if that spot filled.

Some good hunts out there depending on how far you want to go. Bait, hounds, glassing all factor in, some of the vessel based BC, and Alaskan hunts can get up to $10,000, but can be significantly cheaper if the captain is just running the boat. Meaning a bear is spotted you take a small boat to shore, and handle it yourself.

Some places adding a second bear is also possible. Some times it's an easy add on (trophy fee), and it's cost effective to book another species as primary, and the bear as you see one.

The times I've been in BC seeing 6-10 bears a day just driving the roads is common. Babine Guide and Outfitters is a place I'm familiar with. Smithers, BC. Has a Facebook page and website. I just heard they have some spring openings. Upper edge of cost, but first class all around. Good Luck!

If you are open to going to Canada, I did A spot and shoot hunt in Alberta last fall. I really enjoyed it. Ended up taking a 6 footer.

I hunted with Swanspoint Outfitters. The guide hunts a zone that does not allow baiting or dogs, so the local hunting pressure is minimal. There were a few guys out and about scouting for deer and moose, but nothing that interfered with our hunt. It was also a two bear area, and he didn't charge extra fees for the second bear. As far as cost, I can't say what he's charging now. He gave us a good price because it was only his first year guiding, and was trying to get some clients. Last time I talked to him, I think he was fully booked through this fall though. Not sure on next spring.

There is a possibility for some long range shots, depending on the situation. My shot was only about 160, and the guy I hunted with shot his at maybe 75.

I would recommend Matthew, the guide and owner, to anyone. He worked hard for us, and was very easy to get along with. Feel free to message me if you have questions or want more info.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.