What to do...

ryanf73

I have been thinking of building a long range rifle for some time now and I shot a friend of mines 6.5 creedmore the other day and it was asome we were hitting tartgets 900+ all day so I have to have something that will do that.

My problem that i am having is that I have 3 guns right now that I do not hunt with they are new in box browning a-bolt 300 win mag stalker comp stalk blued barrel (plan jane), and new in box tikka T3 lite 300wsm blue barrel wood stock, and a pre64 winchester M70 30-06 all factory but in rough shape.

Should I try to make one of the guns that I already own into a long range shooter or sell the browning and tikka and just by a gun that will do what i need. I don't really want to sell the winchester.

Thanks Ryan...

The one problem with the tikka is that it is super light I think it may beat the crap out of me? Or maybe not I gues I should shoot it some and see how it feels.

you could always get a muzzle brake. but you will also need the accuracy to get you out ther to 900+

Normally I'd say evaluate what you've got, and let them take you as far as they can. You've mentioned recoil as a concern, and have a couple of rifles you're avoiding. On the other hand you shot a 6.5 you obviously enjoyed. At the end of it that's all that matters. That leaves you with building or buying. If building I'd start with the Model 70 action you like, chambered in any of the 6.5's . My advice would be sell them all, and buy a turn key set up, or one of Len's ready mades. A 6.5 can be braked to further reduce recoil, to the point of negligible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I think I will try to sell a few things. Recoil is not a big deal normaly except when the gun weight 6lbs the 6.5 I shot I would be able to shot it all day no problem it didn't kick at all. I think I will try to sell the 300 win mag a mini 14 rach rifle that I never use and maybe a taurus judge. Should be able to buy something with that much money (if I can sell them).

Thanks Ryan...

Do it once and do it right ... full custom! You won't be disappointed, and you'll save yourself money, time and frustration in the long run!

sell the tikka and browning. get a sendero. either sell or refinish the m70 to be a shooter.

I sold the browning a ruger and a judge. So I have a little money to work with now. I was looking at the savage hunter in 338 lapua but after doing some calculations I could by the gun but I would not be able to aford to shot it with the cost of ammo even reloading. So I am thinking hard on the savage hunter in 6.5x284. What do you guys think of this gun and caliber? I have enough money to buy this gun with $500 worth of optics and still have enough left over to get dies and ammo. The gun that I end up buying will fill the nitch of long range shooting for fun and will not be my primary hunting rifle.

Thanks...

Savage in 6.5x284 is an awesome combination! Be careful when you say things like "it will not be my primary hunting rifle". An accurate longrange rifle has a way of changing the way you think.

... Be careful when you say things like "it will not be my primary hunting rifle". An accurate longrange rifle has a way of changing the way you think.

Made me chuckle when I read this because of how dead-on this statement is ...

I thought about the little steps I've taken over the years and how once you get an accurate gun, you will never settle for less. If I had it to over again I wish I could have just bought a custom gun from the start and be done with it. Would have saved so much time and money in the long run. (And guns don't necessarily have to be custom to be accurate... don't want to start a custom vs non-custom debate)

But I guess figuring it all out is half the fun and that's how we all learn... knowledge never comes cheap... except right here from Trebark!

gun)

My tikka 300wsm will do alright at 900.....If or when you shoot it just make sure to put a limbsaver pad on it. They are great. As far as it becoming your primary hunting rifle and your perspective changing...........you might as well plan on it....... five years ago if you told me I would be packing around a 14lb 338 edge single shot on EVERY hunt I would of told you you were full of it. Now......I do and I like it :D. Even thinking about unloading all my light weight rifles to fund really accurate heavier ones. Never imagined I would want a 28" full bull barreled 243 for coyote hunting but..........I really do. It has a way changing the way you hunt also.......I don't push anything any more. I never disturb anything unless I have already shot it...................... From way over there.

The hunting that I do most is coyote hunting and I skin everything I have a win M70 SS coyote heavy barrrel 22-250 it kills them dead and doesn't blow a big hole in them on a average year I get anywhere from 100-150 plus a bobcat now and then im sure the 6.5 would be a great killer I just don't like to stitch that much. I archery hunt for deer ,elk, antelope. I could see myself using it for bear shooting across a huge clear cut or across a canyon.
Thanks for all the replys this is great info.

The hunting that I do most is coyote hunting and I skin everything I have a win M70 SS coyote heavy barrrel 22-250 it kills them dead and doesn't blow a big hole in them on a average year I get anywhere from 100-150 plus a bobcat now and then im sure the 6.5 would be a great killer I just don't like to stitch that much. I archery hunt for deer ,elk, antelope. I could see myself using it for bear shooting across a huge clear cut or across a canyon.
Thanks for all the replys this is great info.
Any of the 6.5 factory calibers will be a great cyote gun as well, just pick the right bullet.

I spent two years making my mind up about what 6.5 to build and settle on the .260 Rem. I'll never regret it eather. It beats both the 4.5 lapua, grendel, and the creedmore in ever respect.

For other options look at the LRH classified ads as there's a hell of a lot of very nice custom and semi custom LR rigs for sale there at any given time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.