What to do with my old man's Weatherby

MrTacticalForester

My dad has this Weatherby Mark V Deluxe that was made in Japan, is chambered in .30-06 and has a 9 lug bolt. Apparently .30-06 wbys with 9 lug bolts are fairly rare as the new ones in that caliber only have 6 lugs. Anyways, the gun doesn't shoot very well in anybody's hands, not just mine or his. I have done a bit of reading on this and I have a pretty good idea of why that is but I figured if I'm going to be fixing things I might as well glass bed and pillar bed the rifle in its original wood stock. I'm going to try to do the work myself but I have some concerns. I don't think he will ever sell the gun but I figured I should get some advice on the value of a slightly rare mark v. I have had trouble finding pillars for Weatherby actions and solid information about bedding rifles with sporter profile barrels.

As a side note I might look for a better scope than whats on there, a good 20 moa pic rail, and some quality scope rings. My end game here is to have a good looking, light weight rifle that I can make hits with at 1000 yards (not hunting applications, just target shooting)

Which barrel does the rifle have, a #1 profile or #2?

I ask because many were made with a #1 profile barrel, and your odds of making a "good shooter" out of it are moderately low, no matter what you do to pillar and bed it.

Which barrel does the rifle have, a #1 profile or #2?

I ask because many were made with a #1 profile barrel, and your odds of making a "good shooter" out of it are moderately low, no matter what you do to pillar and bed it.

+1

If it is a light weight barrel. bedding wont hurt and you will have to make the pillars (Cut to proper length) and install.

Also It has been my experience with the light weight barrels that they shoot better with the lighter bullets
(30/06 needs 150 to 165 grain bullets to minimize barrel torqueing.

Do a back to bare metal cleaning of the bore and try the lighter bullets after pillar bedding.

J E CUSTOM

Well, IMO, they're pretty - but unreliable IMO and I'd never even consider trying to make a 1K rifle out of one; and I'd never hunt ill tempered game that runs faster than I do with one.

Hahahahaha.gun)gun)

+1

If it is a light weight barrel. bedding wont hurt and you will have to make the pillars (Cut to proper length) and install.

Also It has been my experience with the light weight barrels that they shoot better with the lighter bullets
(30/06 needs 150 to 165 grain bullets to minimize barrel torqueing.

Do a back to bare metal cleaning of the bore and try the lighter bullets after pillar bedding.

J E CUSTOM

What J E said

What to do with my old man's Weatherby

Seriously, you will never get it to shoot. Just send it to me so I can use it as a door stop.

Of course I'm kidding.

That action is very very strong. A #1 barrel is like JE said, will have challenges. Light bullet fast. 150 or 155.

I've gotten ever sound barreled Mark V 9lug or 6lug to shoot. Not always easy but it does.

I converted my 30-06 9lug to a 308/26-Nosler and that shoots fine but it is a 24" #2 barrel.

Japanese made Mark 5's are plentiful in 270, 30-06 with 9 lug actions. They are a super solid reliable action that needs very little other than bedding and the trigger adjusted to make it a premium foundation for a custom rifle. Don't wreck it trying to lap the lugs. It's okay just as they are. Depending on the scope there is no need for a 20 MOA rail. Leupold double dovetail bases with Burris Signature rings will get you 20 MOA if you want it. They makes a nice aluminum rail if you are determined to put a rail and tactical rings on it. Light bullets at 1000 yards are going to be very hard to hit anything with. I would put a better heavier barrel on it and enjoy the heck out of it. If you use a Krieger you will maintain it's bloodlines and value because that is what the custom shop uses when they put an upgraded barrel on it.

Or you could call Weatherby and let them fix it. They guarantee 100 yard 1-1/2 MOA with premium ammo and I have found they do that pretty easy especially if they go over it. Once you work on it the free ride from Weatherby is over.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.