What to do to start out?

alldayhunter

Hi everyone i am fairly new to this site. I have asked a few questions and have got very good responses. I have been looking at getting a custom gun built by 308nate but because i am moving to CO i need to save the money for moving expenses. I would also like to say that nathan was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with and as soon as i save my money after the move he will be getting some business. my question this time is this. I recently bought an a-bolt 300wsm from a friend who was buying another rifle for long range shooting. I wouldn't have bought it but i got a great deal on the rifle and have personally shot a 3.75 inch group at 400 yards prone with this rifle with factory ammo. While the rifle shoots well it tries to knock my teeth out every time i pull the trigger. My question is should i look into putting a muzzle break and a new stock on this rifle or would it negativly affect accuracy. I would like to keep the gun lite because when i have my custom built i would like to keep it for a lite pack rifle. This gun will have to help me improve my shooting ability until i get my custom built. Sorry for the long post i just thought this would be the best place to ask. Also if anyone knows any affordable stocks to look at i may be interested depending on what i find out. Thanks again

I just purchased a 300 WSM too. If you want to save money you may want to try out a recoil pad that straps on or possibly have one professionaly installed. They do claim that installing a muzzel brake doesn't affect accuracy. you see several high priced rifles w/ muzzel brakes on them.

If practicing is what you're after. You can reload your own ammo and reload it lighter (down to a 30-06 or 308 level). The recoil will be MUCH easier to deal with, you'll save money over factory ammo (probably pay for the reloading supplies after 100-200 rounds), the barrel will last longer and you won't have to mess with your rifle.

You read on the web all the time about sub-1/2MOA groups etc. The fact is for a light packing rifle, if you can shoot sub 1-MOA at distance from a hunting position, you're in pretty good shape from an accuracy perspective. If you put a brake on the rifle and then use it for a packing rifle, your ears will not like you! I personally will NEVER have a brake on a rifle I carry hunting (setting up for LR is a different story).

A good foam filled composite stock will probably lighten the recoil somewhat if you go that way. My personal packing rifle is a 7RM that weighs 7.9lbs ready for hunting, it has a Brown Precision foam filled stock. Its recoil is softer than heavier 7RM's that I shoot, I believe the foam filled stock has a lot to do with it. http://www.brownprecision.com

Don

Well first thing I would try would be a new Sims recoil pad they make one that simply screws on to your stock with any grinding. For about $30 that would be the first try then if that doesen't work , well you already have Nate's number so call him back and have him put a brake on your gun , his prices are more than reasonable and his work is great , the turn around time is also pretty quick.

The LIMBSAVER recoil pad for your rifle would be a good start. You could also obtain a Simms Recoil Sheild, which is the shoulder pad mentioned previously. You just strap it on and forget about recoil. There are different thicknesses, I use both sizes a lot. No good for hunting but you don't feel recoil during hunting shots.

Thanks for all the help. I am starting to reload so that is a great suggestion. I already bought a recoil pad you strap on this morning so that was good to see as a suggestion. i like the idea of a muzzle break but for a carry rifle not looking for the added noise. I have also read some where that it could cause problems with barrel hamonics and effect accuracy. i will deffinately look into the limbsaver as well. Thanks again for all the help.
Garrett

Sorry this is probably a stupid question. Any one know how to take the recoil pad off an Abolt with synthetic stock. There are no screw holes on the pad so i was just wandering. Thanks
garrett

I'm bettin' they're there. When a recoil pad is properly installed you shouldn't be able to see them. Look at another stock with shows them then probe (gently with an ice pic) you should "feel" a philips head screw.

Just my guess. It works with those hollow rem stocks.....

You are so wise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I took the pad off tonight and am picking up a limbs tomarrow. Thanks for all the help. I will shoot the gun this weekend and see how she feels. Hopefully i wont get too black and blue.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts