What to do in Auckland/North Island in January?

dust

Sorry this isn't about long range hunting, although someone is welcome to invite me :D. My wife and I are headed to Auckland on Jan. 1, and we have some ideas on the normal touristy stuff, but I was wondering if there were some local/off the beaten path places that only locals would know about. We will probably be renting a car for most of the time. History and nature are the main things we try to get to on vacation.

The Kiwi's are a friendly bunch and like Americans so you should be able to get some ideas from the locals. It's a beautiful country and you will certainly enjoy yourself. It'll be summer there so you should have wonderful weather, too.
The best fish & chips I have ever enjoyed were at a place called "Swashbucklers" in Auckland, down near the harbor. It's always a place I go when I'm there on business, which is 2+ visits per year.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.