What to do....build or buy

coues7

As I've mentioned before I have a Rem 700 SPS in 300 Win Mag.....I have the opportunity to buy a Sendero SFII stock (h-s precision) for $200. I think that the stock will give me a great platform to work from.

SO should I buy that and then bed the action or just buy a Sendero SF II?

I will be using the gun to shoot coues/AZ black bear and elk here in AZ. Of course I'm also entering the LRH world and would like to be serious in the sport and continually gain ability and accuracy out to 1000 yards.

Thanks

if it were me id buy the sendero. senderos have bull barrels, SPS' dont. there will be alot of space between the barrel and the stock, maybe too much.

get the sendero stock and just build up another 300win or 300rum on a custom barrel. or another caliber such as the edge etc.

I second screech, You have about $400 in the sps, another $200 in a stock. Get a great barrel for $300, thread fit and chambered for another $175-200. And you will have a sendero with a quality barrel, just pick a good smith. At $1100 invested you have a custom vs $999 for the factory stick. Save your nickles and have the action trued for a bit more.

Get the sendaro stock and get a custom build on the SPS when you can afford it. you can bed the action onto the stock now and the smaler barrel will not be any trouble. when it is shot out get the action trued and get a new barrel fitted and choose the calibre you want i would look at a 338 Edge or 300 Ultra as other options or even the 300 Win MAg with a long throat and faster twist to take 240gr projectiles. this way you can take your time to build wnat you want and not be limited by the factory calibres also you could sell your 300 win mag barrel and get the work done now. By building a custom on the SPS and Sendaro stock you will have a rifle better than a factory sendaro for less than it would cost to do the extra work to the sendaro.

Cheers Bill
Australia

what brand of barrels do you guys recommend?

If I do end up some day wanting a 338 Edge.....wouldn't I just be better off getting the Sendero in 300 RUM so I don't end up having to get a larger box mag for the Ultra based cases and feed rail & ramp work?

Thanks

Lilja is always a sure bet for a quality match barrel. They take a while to get, but you cant rush perfection. I wouldnt recomend shilen anymore. They used to be great but the barrels available to you and me have not been so hot in recent years. I have an ABS barrel in the works and will let all know how that one turns out. All other reports have been good.

Others here have used a host of other great barrels and I will leave the comments about those to the shooters that have used them.

Michael, don't write Shilen off just yet. They went through some difficult times but the last couple of barrels I got from them not only shot very well but were delivered in 3 weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.