What to build for daughter ?

257stw

I'm wanting to build my daughter a rifle to deer hunt I want to build something she won't out grow i have decided on 3 calibers 6mm rem , 6mm x 284 . 240 whby i reload so ammo cost is not a issue & i'm only interested in these 3 calibers so tell me what you think & don't hold nothing back give me your best shot !

Did you write off .243 and 6.5 creedmoore?
How did you come to those calibers? Out of the ones you listed 6x284 would be my choice based on the performance we've seen with 6.5x284.

Last edited:
I'm with the other here. Much more info needed.

How old is the kid? How tall/wt?

I'd personally be looking at the .260 Rem or 6.5 creedmore for deer at under 600yds with the average girl doing the shooting.

She's 10 almost 5' mainly shooting 100 - 300yds typical alabama deer hunting set up I just want something she can use from now on only interested in calibers i listed i know there are some better one's out there. But these are the one's Iv'e narrowed it down to.

She's 10 almost 5' mainly shooting 100 - 300yds typical alabama deer hunting set up I just want something she can use from now on only interested in calibers i listed i know there are some better one's out there. But these are the one's Iv'e narrowed it down to.
If you are stuck on those I'd go with either the 6mm Rem or 6x284.

All the of the calibers you list will do the job as you describe it. So pick which one you like and go with it. I would say the key to your barrel would be to get a fast enough twist so that she can shoot the heavier 6mm bullets at longrange when she's ready.

The tougher part of the project will be to have a stock that can grow with her.

Also, important to girls is noise. Most girls do not like a lot of noise. So be sure to get her a good pair of earmuffs.

All the of the calibers you list will do the job as you describe it. So pick which one you like and go with it. I would say the key to your barrel would be to get a fast enough twist so that she can shoot the heavier 6mm bullets at longrange when she's ready.

The tougher part of the project will be to have a stock that can grow with her.

Also, important to girls is noise. Most girls do not like a lot of noise. So be sure to get her a good pair of earmuffs.
Actually the stock is easy. Go with a full sized adult wood/laminate stock, cut it to fit LOP and keep the cut off block.

Before it's cut you have the smith drill dowell holes past the point of cut off.

Then when the girl/kid grows to where it's time for the full lop, you replace the cut off piece using dowels, sand and refinish and you'll have a perfect match.

I know that it is not on the list. But my vote for that combination would be a Remington model 7 in 260 Remington. It will last her the rest of her life.

Although none of those would be my first choice, each of them is a good choice.

My daughter got a used .260 Rem Model 7 when she was a very thin 9 & had 2 deer before she was 10. The most important issue I found was recoil. She did her "position" practicing with .22 and used a Lead Sled when she used the .260 Rem. She had no apprehensions of recoil when it came time to pull the trigger on deer. Neither deer had a chance.

I had gone looking for a good used .243 but stumbled upon the .260 with a youth stock for a reasonable price. When I found the .260 Model 7 I knew she had something that would last her for years.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.