What to build...be radical or conservative??

Dan B

I've been struggling with this for a while...trying to make the descision on what to do with an XP-100 handgun in the safe. I "need" a super accurate long range (up to 500yds for hunting purposes) deer rig that will also double as an occassional bench gun for a local 100/300/500yd groundhog target match. But I would also like it to work on elk to...say...500 yds? I'm sticking w/ the 500yd range because that is the longest range I have available until I get a better rangefinder and can practice on some long powerlines.

The struggle is...I'm trying to pick a cartridge that will do these hunting duties and be shootable for target w/o gulping huge amounts of powder and make practice expensive...and I LOVE to practice!!! Either way...the gun will be built w/ a 17" tube, HS stock, 3-12x32 Burris LER scope and all the accurizing goodies by Kirby.

On one hand I'm thinking of building a 7mm WSM (1-9" Lilja for 175gr pills)...the radical possibility. It would certainlly do elk and deer to as far as I felt comfortable but gulp too much powder for a lot of quality practice.

On the other hand I'm thinking .284 Winny set up to shoot 162gr Hornady's or AB's. It would work great on deer and the target line...but be a little light for elk?? This would be the "conservative" choice. I'd be more likely to shoot this more often due to the reduced powder appetite.

I have a lot of "daily driver" specialty handguns (custom 7-08 Striker, custom 22-250 Striker, .222 Remmy XP, and .222 Remmy Mag Imp XP...and more Contenders that I care to count). These can handle about anything I care to do now but I'm looking to build that one special gun for really extending my capabilites and adding horsepower! The only additonal cost in having the gun built is opening up the bolt face.

So...deal w/ burning more powder and build the dragster or stay somewhat conservative w/ the .284?? I'd REALY like a 500yd elk gun!! Suggestions??

Stay magnum size or bigger and poo on the conversative approach, taint no excitement there......

Get 872 powder, I hear its cheaper than dirt.

Then get a cartridge designed for 872. It'll be big, it'll be long and it will have the bark of the swamp but when you want to go well beyond 500 yds, which you will, you'll have what you need.

Search on the following:

338 Edge
338/300 RUM
7mmAM

Dan B.

The differences between the 284 and 7mm WSM will not be as large as you would expect. In fact the difference will be about half what it would be if these two were chambered in rifle length barrels.

Thats why I always tell my customers that gaining 100 fps of velocity with same bullets in a handgun length barrel is a major increase in power, whereas in a rifle it is not that big of a deal to get this velocity increase.

I also assure you that if you use the proper bullets, the 284 will tip any mature elk over that you hit in the vitals out to 500 yards with a top end load and again a quality bullet.

The 7mm WSM will certainly have a bit more energy because of the slight increase in velocity but not that much. Throat life will certainly be more with the 284 but considering this you must also look at the other loading componants if you are concerned about cost.

Bullets are the same so that price will be identical. Case price will stay very similiar and may even be more expensive with the 284 depending on what brand of cases you use. I know several guys using the top end match 6.5-284 brass necked up to 7mm for their 284 ammo.

Really, the differnce between these two is not all that great, its certainly there but not as wide a spread as most would think in a handgun.

Are you stuck on the 7mm caliber? reason I ask is because a 270 WSM loaded with a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat will have a "Bullet drop determined" BC value of .740 so ballistically it will smoke anything that a 160 class 7mm bullet will offer you.

Just another option.

Heres another one on the radical side. Getting ready to build a 7mm Dakota XP here soon. That will be a thumper but not what I would call an economic practice round!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby...you da'man! That's what I was looking for. Cost to build is not a concern...it's the cost to feed!! I'd thought of the .270WSM...in fact I have a Striker barrel in a wildcat .270 OTTR (.270x243WSSM) that I've thought about rechambering for more horsepower and occassional use. I love my custom XP's dearly and would rather have one that I can shoot a LOT without killing the throat...rather than a show piece that only gets shot before hunting season.

The 7mm Dakota...is that Ernie's gun?

Dan B,

Yet, its Ernies cannon.

I will say if you want to shoot heavy bullets you will get more out of the bigger WSM case then the 284. Inthe 7mm, if you were looking to get extreme performance the 200 gr ULD RBBT would be about as good as it gets. Drop sscoyote a message and have him tell you about his mule deer hunt with his big 7mm XP and these bullets. Also he can tell you about some LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG range handgun shooting they have been doing with this handgun and bullet combo.

In your 270 OTTO, what twist do you have in that barrel? I would assume 1-10. I though about doing the same thing with the WSSM case in 270 with the Allen Magnum shoulder and body configuration and use the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT with a 1-8 twist barrel for a 1000 yard target round. Would have at least the barrel life as the 270 Win which is pretty long if cared for properly!!

May not be up for a Bull elk at 500 yards but the WSM would.

As would a 270-284 if you wanted to get into something differnet just because. Not much benefit over the 284 if any but DIFFERENT!!

I have always liked the little 7mm BR for playing around with and hunting out to 250 yards or so on deer size game. A WSSM necked up to 7mm would also be interesting just like your OTTO.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted as you go.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.