What Solvent Dissolves Smokeless Powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Catfur, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Catfur

Catfur Well-Known Member

I have a stuck case... in a reloading block. I accidentally spilled some Win 760 on the block while charging a case (22-250 being formed into 6XC) and the tiny granules have wedged into the hole, against the case.

I have hulked and hulked on the case to no avail, and tried igniting the powder as well (wouldn't light). I'm wondering if there are any commonly available solvents I can buy that will dissolve the powder and let me get the damn case out.

2. westcliffe01

westcliffe01 Well-Known Member

Water ? You can test it on the powder by itself. Might help if it is hot.

3. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

What material is the block? Plastic? Put the whole thing in the freezer for a few hours. Should make the case contract enough to get it free. Of course be careful as the block might be brittle when it's cold.

4. 65WSM

65WSM Well-Known Member

Acetone is the solvent used in manufacture of nitrocellulose. It will evaporate quickly so throw a rag over the top to reduce evaporation. Water is used to store over smokeless powder disolved in actone to keep the acetone frome evaporating and reduce the fire danger in storage before extruding. Water is less dense than nitrocellulose so it floats. I use Seafoam, available in the auto parts isle of Walmart, to remove carbon from my barrel.

5. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one.... Seafoam in a gallon jug. Not just for carburetors.....

6. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

Why not drill a small hole through bottom of loading tray and tap case out with a punch?

7. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

What solvent? SPIT, it is the universal solvent. :D

8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Acetone