What size pack do I need?

ricknolan

This backpack hunting concept is new to me, as I read and study the one question that keeps coming to mind is how big of a pack do I really need.

My plan is for 3 or 4 bow hunters to pack in together with the idea of staying a maximum of 4-5 days. I already have a two man tent that two of us can share and I am thinking two guys share a stove, water purification system and some other stuff to spread the load. We will be in southwest Colorado walking in from 5-8 miles between 10,000 and maybe 11,000 feet. I plan to hire someone to pack out an elk if I connect.

So what size pack do I really need to buy? I don't want to overdo it but sure don't want to buy one too small and have to upgrade later.

Thanks

I would get on the Eastmans website and send Guy an email and ask him his opinion since backcountry backpack hunts are their thing. He is very knowledgeable about any kind of gear for this type of hunting.

if you don't plan on ever packing out an animal or using it for trips beyond 5 days a 4000-5000 cu pack will do the job.

The Eberlestock Just One series will do everything you need it to do especially if you add on their spike duffle bag. I packed out a hindquarter, front quarter, both backstraps and tenderloins of a spike elk in one load last fall and the pack rocked! For some reason I don't like the pack when it has less than 35 or 40 pounds in it but when I have need to carry more weight than 35 pounds it's my go to pack everytime. However a nice mountain pack from Gregory would fit the bill well too if it was in the 4-5000 cubic inch range.

For 4 days, a 4000 cubic inch pack should do it, especially if you are buddying up with a couple people. It is tight, but I use a deuter 65+10 for 7 day outings without sharing equipment. I have Badlands, Eberlestock, and Sitka packs and like my Deuter the best for pack trips. As stated above, the Eberlestock is the best if you want to pack a lot of weight, but I do not like it except for heavy packing.

Backpacking is an adventure. When I first started, I packed between the low 70 lb. and the low 90 lb. range. The Eberlestock rocked for those trips. Now I am down to the low 50's for 7 days. My packs have shrunk accordingly and I make twi trips out for deer with the Deuter and get the Eberlestock J107 for the second trip on elk. I am going to get one of the new KUIU packs when they come out in a month or two. The carbon fiber frame is only a few onces and they have interchangeable bags of different sizes. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts