what scope to buy

Eric S

I am new to the sport.i am looking for a scope in the 300-400 price range.I will be installing this on a 243.I am looking for a scope with a regular retical and hand adjustable turrets that can go back to zero.around a 4-16 range power,tube size don't madder.any input would help.

eric,
I recently bought a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 for $315.00 out the door, and am well pleased with it. I have had zero problems dialing from 0-650 yds. So far it has maintained its zero while taking the abuse of my .300WinMag with stout 180-190gn loads. It can be had with the "regular" duplex reticle, comes with two sets of elevation/windage knobs, 4" sunshade and parallex adjustment on the side.
My .243 Win70 HVB has a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44 and my 7mmRM Rem700P has a Leupold VariX-III 4.5-14X40 and the BuckMaster is just as clear and as solid as these two are for a little less money.
MidwayUSA was running a sale on them for 299.99. May still be going on. JohnnyK.

In that price range the Nikon Monarch is the best I have found. I just got seven in yesterday and two of those are in 4-16 with duplex reticles. If you want one of those I will ship it to you for $345. They are all still in the factory sealed boxes. Most of my business was in Leupolds for years. Now it is Nikon Monarchs.

From what I've read on the Vortex and my personal experience with Nikon I can't disagree with any one of these posts.

By the way welcome to LRH!

Last edited:
I am new to the sport.i am looking for a scope in the 300-400 price range.I will be installing this on a 243.I am looking for a scope with a regular retical and hand adjustable turrets that can go back to zero.around a 4-16 range power,tube size don't madder.any input would help.
i would look at a leupold vx II in 6-18 with target knobs very good scope in that price range clear and comes in fine duplex or their ballistic reticle as well

Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 (have 1 on my 243, hasnt failed me)
nikon monarch 4-12x42
nikon Monarch 4-16x50 (Have 1 on my 7mag or 300 win mag, havent decided yet. AWESOME scope)

Welcome, Eric. I'm pretty new here too and still learning. One of the writers here, Jerry Teo (aka Mysticplayer), really likes the Bushnell Elite 4200. Check out his article "Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget". He says he has 12 of them. Normally, that scope is out my price range as well as the one you set for yourself, but as luck would have it, I stumbled on to a sale. The Bushnell list price is around $700. But 3rd Generation Shooting Supply has one for under $300. I bought a 6-24x40 for under $350. I don't even have a gun to put it on yet. Check the link below.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/3rd-gen-shootings-big-bushnell-sale-43355/

Eric, just wondering if you've tried optical range compensation as opposed to traditional setting-in-the-clicks? I've been using Leupold's Varmint Hunters Reticle and love the displayed info. After laser-range-finding, and by-guess-and-by-gollying the wind, the sight picture the reticle gives me is refreshing.

thanks for all the help.i think i am leaning towards the nikon buckmaster 6472 with nikoplex its in my price range and it has everything i am looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.