What scope for my 7mm mag?

pburton

I am looking to get some opinions on a scope for my 7mm mag. It is primarily going to be used for hunting. And I am on a pretty tight budget. $500-600. I have looked at numerous scopes over the last couple of weeks. All this has done is confuse me. Some had adjustable objectives (which I don't really understand). I have used 3-9x40 scopes for the last 30 years. I would prefer a higher power scope for this rifle but, I am very hesitant to get one. Due to all of them having this adjustable objective. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

What will you be hunting and what type of range will you be hunting at? Could be that a 3-9x would be all you need. You could get a pretty nice 3-9x within your budget. I hunt with a 3-9x on my 7mm rem mag but don't get to do much long range hunting so my setup works for me.

I am looking to get some opinions on a scope for my 7mm mag. It is primarily going to be used for hunting. And I am on a pretty tight budget. $500-600. I have looked at numerous scopes over the last couple of weeks. All this has done is confuse me. Some had adjustable objectives (which I don't really understand). I have used 3-9x40 scopes for the last 30 years. I would prefer a higher power scope for this rifle but, I am very hesitant to get one. Due to all of them having this adjustable objective. Some help would be greatly appreciated.
The adjustable objective gives you proper parallax adjustment for a given range. Parallax can be come a real issue at longer ranges and have serious effects on accuracy.

Non adjustable parallax scopes are generally set at the factory for 100-200yds.

If you've ever used an old style prismatic range finder you can understand how parallax adjustment can be of a great help at longer ranges.

As for what to buy.. .

In your price range you can probably go through the classifieds here at LRH and find a decent deal on a used Vortex or maybe even Leupold in something up to a 16x.

For most practical big game hunting 14x is enough to get the job done out to six or eight hundred yards, 16-20x really helps beyond that.

I picked up a used Leupold 4.5-14x Tactical with mil dot reticle and target turrets last year on Ebay for about 450.00 If I remember right, and something similar would work pretty well for you I'd imagine.

The Super Sniper's are also a fairly cheap way to go for some pretty good quality glass for a starter.

Personally I'd say when it comes to glass just save a little longer so you can buy the very best possible scope. You can spend a lot of money putting together a pretty nice rifle, loading ammo etc, and still not be able to hit a bull in the *** at 100yds if your scope is a POJ.

Some other decent scopes to look at used in that price rage would be Burris Tactical models, and the Bushnell Elite series.

If at all possible get a 30mm tube and 50mm objective as they will come in handy for low light shooting.

It really sucks to have a nice animal walk out just before daylight, or just before dark and not be able to see them well enough to "take the shot".

Don't be afraid to buy quality glass used especially from the better makers who give a lifetime warranty like Leupold, USO, and NF.

Since I live in Nevada I hunt primarily the western states. So shots do have a tendancy to be on the longer side. Although I have never had the confidence to take some of those longer shots. My longest one shot kill to date is 405yrds. Which by most standards on this site is not very far. This is one of the main reasons that I became of member of this site. I am trying to learn as much as possible about long range shooting. Then taking it to the range to practice. This way I will hopefully have the confidence to take those longer shots if I ever draw a Nevada Elk or antilope tag. Which up to this point seems impossible.

I am building this 7mm mag as my first long range rifle to practice with. Although it may take a while to get there with my limited budget. I understand saving my money and buying the best scope possible. I am just feeling a little rushed in this project since I have an Elk tag in Idaho and want to have suficient time to practice with this rifle.

Since I live in Nevada I hunt primarily the western states. So shots do have a tendancy to be on the longer side. Although I have never had the confidence to take some of those longer shots. My longest one shot kill to date is 405yrds. Which by most standards on this site is not very far. This is one of the main reasons that I became of member of this site. I am trying to learn as much as possible about long range shooting. Then taking it to the range to practice. This way I will hopefully have the confidence to take those longer shots if I ever draw a Nevada Elk or antilope tag. Which up to this point seems impossible.

I am building this 7mm mag as my first long range rifle to practice with. Although it may take a while to get there with my limited budget. I understand saving my money and buying the best scope possible. I am just feeling a little rushed in this project since I have an Elk tag in Idaho and want to have suficient time to practice with this rifle.
Check the classifieds here, Sniper's hide, and give ebay a look. Summer is a great time to be looking for shooting related gear since it's the off season.

On my 7mm mag I have a Leupold VX III 4.5 - 14 x 40 LR, it has the side focus and is a 30mm tube. I have taken shots out to 630 yds with it. I like the level of magnification and being 40mm objective it is not too big.

For your budget, if you want to buy new, I'd say see if you can find a bushnell elite 6500 on sale. You could definitely get a bushnell elite 4200 and stay in budget. If you don't mind having a fixed power scope, a SWFA super sniper scope might be a good fit. I don't have any personal experience with Vortex scopes, but I hear great things about them and my next scope will be a vortex.

One nice thing you'll find about this site is that there's a lot of people around here that are more than happy to help you do your homework to get set up right.

Great starter scope for you here at a reasonable price.

FS: Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 Tactical - Sniper's Hide Forums

More magnification would be nice of course but this will certainly get you to 600yds with ease and on your budget with very good quality glass and a lifetime warranty.

More than you were hoping to spend but an excellent sightron here.

Sightron 8-32X56 Mil/Mil Scope *Reduced* - Sniper's Hide Forums

Again a little outside what you were hoping to spend but a very decent scope for the money.

WTS: Weaver Tactcial 3-15 EMDR illuminated - Sniper's Hide Forums

These will at least give you something to think about and an idea of prices.

I have an oportunity to get a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with any reticle I want, through a pro-deal from Zeiss for $625. Brand New. What are your thoughts on this scope?

I have an oportunity to get a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with any reticle I want, through a pro-deal from Zeiss for $625. Brand New. What are your thoughts on this scope?
Outstanding scope. That's the same scope I made my 870yds bobcat kill with, along with a whole lot of other critters over the years.

I really like the mildot reticle if for no other reason than to help your frame your misses for a very quick correction and follow up shot. Of course with practice you can also use the mildots to pretty accurately range targets of known size as well.

I'll second that on the Conquest, although I have the 6.5x20's. You can't go wrong with a Zeiss Conquest. Great optics. Great repeatable clicks. I have the Z-Plex in my 3 and use the target turrets and just click up. Reticles are a personnal preference...you make the call with what feels right and looks good to you. The price is good too.
I am fond however of the Burris Ballistic-Plex. The dots are right on for the 2 rifles I have them on however they only go 600.

I'll second that on the Conquest, although I have the 6.5x20's. You can't go wrong with a Zeiss Conquest. Great optics. Great repeatable clicks. I have the Z-Plex in my 3 and use the target turrets and just click up. Reticles are a personnal preference...you make the call with what feels right and looks good to you. The price is good too.
I am fond however of the Burris Ballistic-Plex. The dots are right on for the 2 rifles I have them on however they only go 600.
You just made me think of something. The Z 1000 reticles are awfully nice as well. My little brother Jim has one on his 338 Lapua that has it and he's done extremely well with it once he got it all set up right.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts