What scope for a 7 mm STW

BLASERMAN

I have a 7 mm STW that I am planing to use on Coues Deer hunt . I would like to move to another scope in a Higher variable power. I have a 3.5 x 10 Leupold on it now ,
I hope to be shooting up to 500 yrds . 1" or 30 mm I 'd like some opinions.

Depending how much you want to spend? I have a Swarovski 6-18x50 in a 1" tube with the TDS reticle..Its a very nice scope. I have always been a Leuppy man until I purchased the last two scopes, Schmidt bender and the Swarovski..There is a big difference in low light conditions with the Euro glass.

The 10x in your current scope is plenty of magnification for shooting out to 500yds. However, if you want more power than I would suggest skipping over the 4-14X scopes because the increase in maganification would not be enough to warrent the change, IMO anyway.

I put a 6.5X20 on one of my rifles in 7STW. I set it up for pronghorn and was fully prepared to take shots over extended range. As it turned out, I got my speedgoat @ 465yds. Go figure.

One reason that I like high powered variables on hunting rifles is that the max power setting is very useful when working up loads at the range. I rarely find a need for the max power setting when afield.

i got i leupold mark 4 for sale if interested.
4.5-14X50 illumanated mildot,30mm tube, side focus, and the m1 tuurets. i have it mounted on a rifle but it has never been shot. email me at [email protected] if interested.

I too am looking for more scope for my STW, I've got a burris 2.5X10X50 on it right now and would like more magnification. You're correct when saying it's good enough for 500yds, but the biggest reason for me is testing loads as well. I feel more comfortable when I'm able to really zoom in on the bull.

I was interested in a 6.5 x 20 Leupold , But what do you think of a Nightforce 3.5 x 15 or a 5.5 x 22 what Rectical also .

I have 3 leupolds I can sell and pinch a few penney's.
Price never did scare me. Just saved until I got it.

I had a Burris 4.5x14 with the Ballistic dot reticle and A.O. sitting in the cabinet when I picked up my STW a few weeks ago. Figured I would give it a try. Found that it had the drop table printed on a card in the box for the Federal load that I purchased. Didn't have a clue if it would be close or not, but after the initial zero, and a few rounds to get used to the rifle, I found that it would put the 150 SB's right on the dots for the ranges out to 600yds.

Since I have the .270 AM for the real LR stuff, I figure that this will work very well for a mid range hammer on deer or hogs. It is shooting the Federal factory ammo into 3/4" groups at 200yds, so I am having a real hard time deciding on what I should do for a load.

This scope has pleanty of magnification for hunting, but still not enough for reading a target at much past 250yds, unless your using one of the Caldwell targets.

I normally shoot with the power turned up all the way when hunting open country so not having to turn anything for the reticle to be set is not generally a problem. When in the woods I am always on the lowest setting unless I have to thread needle, and then I turn up slow to avoid any unobserved limbs in the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts