What round to use 375RUM or 378Weatherby

[ QUOTE ]
Hired Gun,

If there is interest there will be a 375 Allen Mag here soon. Again, it is my personal opinion that it would be a better round then even the 338 Allen Mag and I think the 338 is about "it" as far as ballistic performance is concerned currently, even including the 50 cals.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby JMHO, with the .338 AM having a short barrel life, and .408 bullets being small in offerings, I would love to see a .375 AM. Just think, a 260 gr. Accubond or a 270 TSX at approximately 3400 fps (or possibly 3500 fps, since the .375 IS more efficient) would be one 'ell of an elk caliber! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well, depending on what barrel length you used, 3400 fps would be a very comfortable load in my opinion. The 338 AM will do this in a 35" barrel easily with a 300 gr SMK.

If you increase the bore size significantly such as you would going to the 375 AM and then decrease bullet weight to 260 or 270 gr, the baring surface of these bullets would decrease significantly and the ability to use faster burning powders would also add to the velocity potential of this round.

I will not say what I think would be possible with a 260 gr Accubond in a 375 AM as far as velocity but I will say I would predict significantly higher velocities they you are listing here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Significantly higher!

Kirby Allen(50)

O.K., HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH MY DREAM CARTRIDGE! quit posting about this thing cause every time i start thinking about it i can't sleep at night.i assume we're talking about the chey-tac case. i want the 350 gr bullets though. i would feel bad shooting an elk inside a half mile, would be like shooting a coues deer with a RUM!

Dave,

I have the reamer print all drawn up, just waiting for Richard to get the dies to make the heavy 375 cal bullets. Not sure if that will happen of not but I will keep hounding him about it. I really like the idea of a 375 to 400 gr class bullet in the 375.

A 375 to 380 gr class bullet should easily stabilize in a 1-10 twist if the 350 gr 338 bullet will. BC should be in the VERY high .800 range and velocity should be in the 3200-3300 fps range depending on barrel length which with this caliber would not need to be overly long, 32-34" at most I would suspect. Even a short 30" pipe would get amazing results with this bore diameter.

Could you imagine a 380 gr 375 bullet with a BC of say .850 and a muzzle velocity of 3300 fps. Thats almost 9200 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Sleep tight!! Ya get used to staring at the ceiling while in bed, it can cost you alot of money though!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

thanks for that post,especially the parting line. really helps the sleep thing.

i've thought about a 375 for more than a year now.these big calibers will really "breath" wouldn't have to use coal,could burn some slightly faster powders and yes, a "short" 30" barrel would work just fine.the 260 accubond i think it is, would be a varmint setup. i'm thinkin about a long range rig in this. only problem is i have to pack it in 4 miles to get to my hunting spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.