What reloading press for a 408 CheyTac based cartridge?

JeffVN

I'm moving into the realm of Loooooog range shooting, and was wondering what reloading press is used for the 408 CheyTac-based cartridges. I currently use a RCBS Rockcrusher II for the catridges that I handload (.260, .308, 7WSM), but am pretty sure the press is too small for the 408-based cartridges.

Thanks for the input

JeffVN

I'm not sure how big that case length wise , but the Lee classic turret press will size 50BMG cases so I'm usre that the 408 would be no trouble. I know alot of folks are very sceptical about Lee presses but the classic turret press I hade was great , loaded very strait ammo and was very strong , I hd no complaints. I ended up donating the press to a buddy that was getting into reloading and a was on a fixed income.

Jeff as of this moring UPS has no idea where the hell three of my boxes are , I'll get another one boxed up and out this week.

James

thanks for the input on the Press. I'll take a look at the Lee. My father in law has a Lee turret press that he bought in the 50s, that he still uses for .45acp ammo. Works like a charm.

I'm sorry to hear that UPS was nice enough to lose 3 of your boxes. That sucks. Hit them where it hurts on teh insurance claims.

Jeff

Rock Chucker II

Hi your press should be fine it definatley has the leverage and length to size cases but you may have to tilt the projectiles into the seating die to clear the dies once seated it should come out of the press easily I have a Rock Chucker Supreme press and it is great and built better than a Lee cast classic. I used to have a RCII and although shorter they have the large insert that can be removed to allow the 408 case to be sized.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts