What reloading manual do use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by texan79, Sep 21, 2010.

Which reloading manuel do you use?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2010.
  1. Speer

36.4%
  2. Hornady

54.5%
  3. Sierra

44.2%
  4. Nosler

54.5%
  5. Other

54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Which one do you like best? If other, which one? Please select all you use.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

Barnes + Speer printed books.
    Hodgdon - printed off internet.
    Berger - printed off internet.

I really do not have a favorite. I like to do alot of reading and research. Most often I will reference all 4 before I start my load development.

It will be interesting to see what others say. I consider myself a novice compared o some others on this web site.

3. MSU Marksman

MSU Marksman Well-Known Member

Sierra from a CD (has some oddball rounds and good interactive stuff)
    Speer (current and previous edition)
    Hornady (current edition)
    Nosler (one edition old, like it for listing load densities)
    Hodgdon Online (This gets the most use)
    Random online suggestions (For some of the hard to find, or recently released)

I'd say I've never started loading without consulting at least two different manuals.

4. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

I dont relegate myself to just one. I use several and compare loads for bullet weights between them all. I kinda come up with a consensus opinion. I will give extra credence to the manual of the bullet I am loading however. I also use online resources as well. The manf.'s are getting wiser and putting a lot of their reloading data on the web now.

JIm

5. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Hae found the Nosler manuals to get me started in the right dirrection but have a few others for reference. I'd also ad the Lyman manual to the list as it has a lot of great info in it!

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

All of them at one time or another.

However, my two "go to" manuals are Sierra and Hodgen as I like the Hodgen line of powders best.

Also like the Norma as I use a lot of MRP and MRP2 at times.

BH

7. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Both Hornady, and Nosler to get an idea where I want to be in a given load, and for cross-referancing, as well as bullet B.C., and sectional densities etc. but most real useable and practical loads for the purpose of long range, comes from RIGHT HERE AT L/R/H from the members I trust, and who have proven they know what theyre talking about. To be honest, the internet is a scary place for any loading info. Theres a system of ''checks and balances'' here from real shooters. They arent gonna advise loads to get someone hurt with out being ''called out'' by some other members.
    All in all most LRH members who give advise on loads, tend to tone them down a notch, and or advise backing off 10% or so to start with if they give you a ''hot'' load. Id rather get it from here, or Nosler.com than anywhere else on the internet.

8. tackb

tackb Well-Known Member

lyman is my favorite but i cross reference 4 or 5 usually

9. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I really like the lymann reloading manuals. they have really good info. I use all of mine though as a collection of info and I also use loaddata.com

10. mmhoium

mmhoium Member

Lyman is also my favorite. But I always compare to my Sierra, Hodgdon, and Nosler books. And often cross-reference with online sources. A new reloading manual always brightens my day; better reading than anything at my local book store IMO.

-M

11. kc

kc Well-Known Member

I have a Speer. thats 4 years old
    a Nosler about 20+ years old.
    and a Hodgdon new. about 6months old.
    I use Hodgdons most of the time.
    the Speer is like the Bible of hand loading.
    I had a few others but they got handed down, I have my best loads on my Record Book.

12. crowsnest2002

crowsnest2002 Well-Known Member

I like my sierra, but I dont like how it is not in book form. I like my speer book the most, but it doesnt have everything that I need at times. Hence the sierra. I wish sierra made a book instead of their binder I'm tired of my daughter tearing my pages when we look at it... lightbulb Maybe thats an idea for them.....

13. rifleman0714

rifleman0714 Member

lyman the most, but ive referenced all of them, nosler , hornady, sierra, speer. Depends on the cartridge and the bullet.