what reloading dies to get for 7mm RUM

I don't think you'll make any more accurate ammo than what a RCBS full-length sizing die will produce. You'll need to get the neck lapped out to about .002- to .003-inch smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter, but that'll eliminate the neck-bending expander ball and increase case life. With such a modified die, the standard RCBS seating die will do wonders; no extra expense needed for a fancy chamber-type seating die.

Don't forget to also get a case headspace gage such as the RCBS Precision Mic or the Stoney Point Head & Shoulder Gage. These let you measure the head to shoulder dimension after firing and after full-length resizing; set the die so the shoulder's not set back more than .002-in. for maximum case life.

Rich, i've got a reading s-bushing FL die set. has three bushings.i think they're 315,313,and 312. will let go for a decent price.

I've never used RCBS, but I love my forester dies and redding dies. I really like my forester seater with the micrometer top. They are less than the Redding and just as good. In fact I like the forester lock nut better since it does not go into the threads. Hornady make the same type of lock nuts, but with an allen head instead of foresters philips head screw. No matter what dies you go with, pick up some hornady or forester rings, you dont want to damage the threads.

I really think the micrometer top is great when seating bullets, you get .001 with every hash mark. It beats messing with the die every time.

Good luck with whatever you chose!

[ QUOTE ]
Bart B
Who do you get lap the neck of your dies??
DR B

[/ QUOTE ]When I was working, I did it myself by chucking a stripped die in a lathe headstock, then wrapped emery paper around a wood dowel split at the end to tuck the emery paper in. Gently pushed the dowel/paper in and out of the die's neck area. Used a hole micrometer to measure progress every so often. Quickly learned about how long to leave the dowel/paper in the die to remove .001-inch. Cleaned the die out with naptha on a rag while it was still in the headstock.

Any 'smith worth his paycheck could do this. Shouldn't take more than 20 to 30 minutes.

I strongly recommend redding over rcbs. I also like forester bullet seaters. Makes for some some top shelf ammo. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.