What really determines barrel life?

JayR

I have read so much on the factors that contribute to a shorten barrel life, but how much would the factors change barrel life for any given cartridge? Factors such as how hot a barrel gets, how hot the loads are etc. A specific example would be, I am debating on building a 6.5wsm deer gun shooting 130ish grainers. I have heard people getting 500-600 rounds from a comp gun. If I was to let the barrel cool and clean well after each session, how would that affect life? How about twist of barrel and bullet weight, seems like a lighter bullet and more powder would shorten life? Just curious any help is appreciated, and I was just using the 6.5wsm as an example,not really asking about that specific cartridge. Thanks for the help and input

6.5 WSM i would guess from 1300 rds to 2000 rds. Had a 264 win that i shot the barrel out of in 1300 and it was burning a bunch more powder than your wsm will. More Powder = more heat, less barrel life. biggest factor i think is how you treat your barrel, low heat, good cleaning will lengthen your life. I would say other big factors would be caliber, speed, bearing surface, and amount of powder burnt. If you want even longer barrel life go with a 6.5 WSSM

I never worry about barrel life, do you worry about the rear tires on a muscle car? barrels are replaceable and if you want to run wide open and have fun doing it you might as well go all out. The 6.5wsm will be pretty close to a 270 wsm for barrel life which is more than most people can shoot out.

If a 6.5wsm has the right amount of throat it will use the same amount of powder as a 264wm but a slightly slower powder and with a much sharper shoulder the 6.5wsm will not be barrel friendly, but with 3-5 shot groups with complete cool down and proper cleaning it should last atleast 1000 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.