what range to sight in

yoda

I have a .243 optima elite with a Leupold 2x7 i know not much but its what i have i reload using Lapua brass and sierra 70 grain bullets wit h322 powder and wanted to know what range should i be sighting it in at

Yoda,
Depends on a number of things here; what you'll be shooting (vital zone size), what ranges you're likely to encounter in the field, how accurate the rig is, etc.. Normally, 200 yards is a somewhat nominal figure for a combination like this. That should have you roughly an inch or two high at 100 yards, dead on at 200, about 6-7 inches low at 300 and around 20 low at 400. All easy enough to "hold off" for under field conditions. If you step up to a turret knob style scope (that is proven to be repeatable), I'd suggest zeroing at one hundred and setting the "0" position on the scope at that point. From there, establish the zeros by actual firing for 200, 300, 400, or whatever other distances you desire, and reecord the settings on a card, or tape it to the stock. When firing at that particular distance, you can then dial the turret to the predetermined setting and you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

+1.....

Yoda,
Depends on a number of things here; what you'll be shooting (vital zone size), what ranges you're likely to encounter in the field, how accurate the rig is, etc.. Normally, 200 yards is a somewhat nominal figure for a combination like this. That should have you roughly an inch or two high at 100 yards, dead on at 200, about 6-7 inches low at 300 and around 20 low at 400. All easy enough to "hold off" for under field conditions. If you step up to a turret knob style scope (that is proven to be repeatable), I'd suggest zeroing at one hundred and setting the "0" position on the scope at that point. From there, establish the zeros by actual firing for 200, 300, 400, or whatever other distances you desire, and reecord the settings on a card, or tape it to the stock. When firing at that particular distance, you can then dial the turret to the predetermined setting and you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.