What press to use for mass quantity .223 rounds ?????

Yes, the Dillon 1050 would probably be the fastest of the bunch.

Several years ago, when I was making the same decision being contemplated by the OP, I was looking hard at the 1050. I ended up going with the 650 instead. The primary reason is that the 650 will allow you to use regular dies, rather than dies made specifically for the Dillon presses. With the 650, I can load high volume for any of the cartridges I already reload for without having to buy separate tool heads and new dies. I decided that I was willing to trade a little bit of speed for increased versatility.

Having said that, I recommend buying the carbide dies for the military cartridges. They are worth it for the truly high volume of loading that you are likely to do to feed semi-autos.

Carbide insert dies???

I've reloaded thousands (literally) 223 OFB's with just RCBS Gold Medal Match die sets without issue. The solution for Mil brass is a good sort and a good prep. Don't expect bulk OF brass to be all good. Typically, I cull about 10%.

I haven't loaded any for a while. Have plenty on hand already loaded and a couple thousand sorted and prepped if the need arises.

When using in a semi-auto, keep in mind that the chamber is looser than a bolt gun to facilitate high speed extraction.

Again I can't stress enough that it's a bottleneck case so growth, neck splits and wall expansion is all relative, just like larger cases.

Multiple 'hot' reloads will necessitate an anneal and resize to length, always.

One issue I've had with Dillon Precision is the proprietary design of the dies and die holder plate though I'm reasonably sure that can be overcome with some in house machining.

I like the ability to use any die of my choosing.

At one timeistudied them and knew the ins and outs of each one. Currently though I have only kept up on the 550b. You can use any dies with it.

Carbide insert dies???

I've reloaded thousands (literally) 223 OFB's with just RCBS Gold Medal Match die sets without issue. The solution for Mil brass is a good sort and a good prep. Don't expect bulk OF brass to be all good. Typically, I cull about 10%.

I haven't loaded any for a while. Have plenty on hand already loaded and a couple thousand sorted and prepped if the need arises.

When using in a semi-auto, keep in mind that the chamber is looser than a bolt gun to facilitate high speed extraction.

Again I can't stress enough that it's a bottleneck case so growth, neck splits and wall expansion is all relative, just like larger cases.

Multiple 'hot' reloads will necessitate an anneal and resize to length, always.

What primers do you use for the .223 ? What kind of powder ? I also have an old style powder hopper (RCBS ) that I believe would work fairly quickly to charge the small .223 round . What powder thrower do you use ? Thanks

CCI or Federal small rifle and small rifle match depending on bullet. Regular for the 55 gn Hornady Boat Tails and match for the V-Max I hunt deer with here in Michigan.

H335 and 322 (I think). I buy 8 pound jugs, matter of fact, I buy 8 pound jugs of every powder I use.....

Powder wise, it don't take much..... high 20 grains as a start charge, I'm loading 26-28, 30 max depending on bullet weight.

I use the RCBS powder measure and a beam scale. I don't trust electronics.

I think I said before that I use RCBS Gold Medal Match dies and bullet seater. I just happen to crimp them with a Lee collet crimper. The RCBS Gold Medal Bullet Seater has no crimp option. I actually use the Lee Collet crimpers on all my rifle loads, 338 Lapua included.

Simple and quick.

No AR here. I actually have a bolt action 223 Savage and a Ruger Mini 14 Target accurized by ASI. The Mini is every bit as accurate as the bolt gun and it's semi auto. At 100 yards I can blow the head off a tack holding the target paper. Mini's are notorious for inaccuracy but the target is pretty accurate out of the box. A bit of massaging by ASI and it's wicked. There are some neat U-Tube video's on the Mini 14 Target and what it will do, stock. I really like mine.

I do a light crimp so the bullets don't move in the magazine on the Mini or the bolt gun, not that it recoils much. I just don't take chances.

CCI or Federal small rifle and small rifle match depending on bullet. Regular for the 55 gn Hornady Boat Tails and match for the V-Max I hunt deer with here in Michigan.

H335 and 322 (I think). I buy 8 pound jugs, matter of fact, I buy 8 pound jugs of every powder I use.....

Powder wise, it don't take much..... high 20 grains as a start charge, I'm loading 26-28, 30 max depending on bullet weight.

I use the RCBS powder measure and a beam scale. I don't trust electronics.

I think I said before that I use RCBS Gold Medal Match dies and bullet seater. I just happen to crimp them with a Lee collet crimper. The RCBS Gold Medal Bullet Seater has no crimp option. I actually use the Lee Collet crimpers on all my rifle loads, 338 Lapua included.

Simple and quick.

No AR here. I actually have a bolt action 223 Savage and a Ruger Mini 14 Target accurized by ASI. The Mini is every bit as accurate as the bolt gun and it's semi auto. At 100 yards I can blow the head off a tack holding the target paper. Mini's are notorious for inaccuracy but the target is pretty accurate out of the box. A bit of massaging by ASI and it's wicked. There are some neat U-Tube video's on the Mini 14 Target and what it will do, stock. I really like mine.

I do a light crimp so the bullets don't move in the magazine on the Mini or the bolt gun, not that it recoils much. I just don't take chances.

Do you know if the bulk .223 ammo is crimped ? Does all of the semiauto .223's have to be crimped ?

Thanks for all of the info . I believe I am going to get set up to load what I need. Is the 55 grain hornady v max the same vmax that you would load in a 22-250 ?

One issue I've had with Dillon Precision is the proprietary design of the dies and die holder plate though I'm reasonably sure that can be overcome with some in house machining.

I like the ability to use any die of my choosing.

I used Lee dies in my Dillon 550 and never had one bit of trouble...???

Do you know if the bulk .223 ammo is crimped ? Does all of the semiauto .223's have to be crimped ?

Thanks for all of the info . I believe I am going to get set up to load what I need. Is the 55 grain hornady v max the same vmax that you would load in a 22-250 ?

All factory loads in 223 are crimped as far as I know. Most are used in semi-auto (gas blowback) rifles so the factory crimps them as SOP. Same with 5.56 NATO.

It (reloads) don't have to be, I do, as a rule but I crimp everything, thats me. You don't have a whole lot of neck (or tension) so why chance it. Look at it this way, the rifle cycles, the recoil moves the rifle back and forth, the rounds in the magazine move back and forth..... see my point?? Factory ammo is usually crimped because they have no idea what you use it in, Obviously a single feed bolt gun has no issue. A select fire weapon does.

.223's are 22 caliber projectiles. I don't own or load a 22-250 so I have no idea. You can buy bulk Hornady projectiles at Widners, they are Hornady Factory distributors. I usually get them in 5,000 quantity in 55 grain HPBT's. The Vmax only comes in 100 boxes as far as I know. I usually buy a couple boxes, work up a load and then load them all..... if Widners has any. I suspect that bulk 22 cal anything is hard to find right now and no, I don't want to sell any components.

All factory loads in 223 are crimped as far as I know. Most are used in semi-auto (gas blowback) rifles so the factory crimps them as SOP. Same with 5.56 NATO.

It (reloads) don't have to be, I do, as a rule but I crimp everything, thats me. You don't have a whole lot of neck (or tension) so why chance it. Look at it this way, the rifle cycles, the recoil moves the rifle back and forth, the rounds in the magazine move back and forth..... see my point?? Factory ammo is usually crimped because they have no idea what you use it in, Obviously a single feed bolt gun has no issue. A select fire weapon does.

.223's are 22 caliber projectiles. I don't own or load a 22-250 so I have no idea. You can buy bulk Hornady projectiles at Widners, they are Hornady Factory distributors. I usually get them in 5,000 quantity in 55 grain HPBT's. The Vmax only comes in 100 boxes as far as I know. I usually buy a couple boxes, work up a load and then load them all..... if Widners has any. I suspect that bulk 22 cal anything is hard to find right now and no, I don't want to sell any components.

Surely you didnt think i was going to ask for any components:D just ribbing you a little......

Thanks for your advice and help . I think the 22-250 is the same i'll know for sure in a bit . If so my dad has a couple hundred :)

Widners has a caliber/projectile chart online on their site so it's easy to look. www.wideners.com

Go to the dropdown under reloading components, click on bullets then rifle bullets then 22 caliber.

If you buy from them (online or phone) they require a copy of your drivers license to be on file or a copy of your Class 3. I have both. The won't sell to you without them in their possession.

If money isnt a consern a 1050 hands down. It will even decrimp primer pockets as you go. There isnt anything faster under 2k. If price is a big consern id look at a 550.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.