What power spotting scope

Discussion in 'Optics For Sale' started by kstrick, Aug 11, 2008.

1. kstrick

kstrick Well-Known Member

I need some help picking out a spotting scope.
    What power spotting scope do I need to see .223 holes in a target 300 yards away? Am I asking to much?
    Any suggestions on a good - durable spotting scope.
    Thanks
    Ken

2. Wabird

Wabird Well-Known Member

The Pentax PF80 has done me well. You'd be tickled with the optics. I'm checking others' .22 caliber holes at 400 for them (in the white) on a cool day at 60x. I can also make out my 6mm holes at 550 in the same conditions with a little studying. I'm sure there are a ton of others who will suggest other brands and sizes. If you happen to get an 80mm don't skimp on the tripod/head. It's what keeps your spotter stable. Good luck!

3. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

The swaro 20-60x80mm HD is what i am currently using and while the price is not any fun it is one hell of a spotter. I perfect lighting conditions i have seen 6mm bullets holes in a white antifreeze jug at 975yds!!!! No BS!!!

Lately i have been playing with some of the Nikon ED spotters we have recently gotten in and i am amazed at them. I havent put them completely through the paces yet but so far i would say they rival the swaro for half the price

have a good un
    steve

4. piutemike

piutemike Well-Known Member

I have a nikon ED spotter and for the price I think it is the best value going. The eye relief could be better and the scope may not be the best choice for a person that has glasses. If you don't wear glasses I think it is a great choice.

Mike

5. ScottBerish

ScottBerish Well-Known Member

20-60 variable, Kowa Prominar, Swavrovski, or Nikon ED. I'm currently testing the Lupy Gold Ring HD 12-40x60.

Scott