what powder is what ?

H1000 is a great powder to start with. It gives very good consistency, is an extreme powder and more importantly will give you very pressure friendly loads. It fills up the case enough so that you get very good fill % and good velocity at lower pressures.
Very important , especially for a new reloader.

well i went to b.a.m. they dont stock reloading manuals they told me to order it on there website...:{ good news is the retailer i found does he wants $35 for it and he promptly tried to sell me a $400 rcbs kit after i told him i was on a small budget, i have decided to go with the lee turet kit as iplan on reloading diffrent calibers (sooner or later), he does sell powder and primer. going to order my press and dies then go to him for the smaller components and manual. cant thyank you all enough for the guidance i will keep you up to date.

Last edited:
update is, i bought a hornady handbook for reloading and have ordered most of the major components i will be needing and found a resource for recipies IMR - Legendary Powders i still need to buy a few more small items but have to wait on that due to my limited budget, i just wanted to up date every one and say thans again for al the advice.

well it took a while but i aquired all my components and made my first rounds now i just need to get time at the range. i will let you know how it goes

"...wich press to buy before i begin purchasing every thing ive been leaning towards the lee brand because its with in my budget, only there are a bunch of choices, some have extras some dont."

You are leaning in a good direction if you are thinking of a Lee Classic Cast single stage, IMHO.

Personal favorites aside, all presses of a general design are equal so far as the ammunition you can produce on them. The Lyman Orange, Redding Boss, RCBS RockChucker and the Lee CC are virtually identical in performance. However, the Lee is aomewhat "better" over-all in that the press body is made of cast steel (old rail road rails actually, not weaker cast iron), the handle is totally adjustable (for side, angle and length), the spent primer catcher actually works and the ram diameter is larger so it's more resistant to wear; it can be used to load rounds as large as the .50 BMG. And it's MUCH less expensive than the others!

I use a Rock Chucker I'd trade, even, for a new Lee Classic Cast. Or a Lee Classic Turret.

shoud i be able to hear the powdwer moving around in the case after it is completed? i dont recall being able to hear it like that from store bought ammo?

Thanks that makes fee fell a bit better. now all i need to do is make it to the range hoping to get there this weekend ant then gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.