What powder is used by nosler

buckyne

I purchased a 300 winmag recently for my elk hunt this fall. Not having access to any brass and short on time for load development I purchased a couple boxes of nosler custom ammo loaded with 180 grain accubonds @ 2950 fps from Midwayusa. I really like how these loads shoot and would like to find out what they are using for powder. Has anyone played around with this ammo? They might be loaded with a powder that is not available to consumers. I hate when they do that.

I checked the nosler website and their most accurate load for the 180 accubonds was with H-1000 but the velocities on the box don't line up with the nosler website. I might be screwed anyway as the local scheel's does not have any brass for the 300 winmag and their selection of powder is very limited right now. I am not able to find any H-1000 locally.

I have some H4350, IMR 4350, H4831sc & RL19 available that I use for my other rifles. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Not sure what Nosler uses, but of the powders you listed, I would start with H4831SC then go to IMR4350, H4350 and RL19.
I like H1000 in my .300ZWinMag with the 185gn Berger VLD and 190gn SMK. Both of these bullets shoot into one ragged hole with their respective loads.
I haven't bought factory ammo in decades but I would disassemble a cartridge and have a look. JohnnyK.

Broke a couple cartridges down and they had 69.8 -69.9 grains of powder. Looks a lot like IMR4350 or IMR4831. But again cross checking the nosler website, a nosler reloading manual and a hornady reloading manual I can't find anything that runs approx 2950 with just under 70 grains of powder. IMR4831 is as close as it gets. I don't have any of that so I guess I need to play around with what I have before I decide to go buy yet another powder. That is if I can even locate any.

I have been using 70.0 grains of imr 4350 with good results. They are running 2980 threw my chrono. Still looking for some h1000 to try.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts