What pod? Harris?

Master Diver

Gentlemen

I am looking for a pod for a Hogue stock, it will be used for hunting and should work for shooting laying on the ground.
What pod should I get?
I am looking at Harris 6-9" and 9-13"!! What size is best?
Any other makes?

Cheers,

Master Diver

Gentlemen

I am looking for a pod for a Hogue stock, it will be used for hunting and should work for shooting laying on the ground.
What pod should I get?
I am looking at Harris 6-9" and 9-13"!! What size is best?
Any other makes?
Cheers,
Master Diver

MD,
I use the 6-9 more than any of them.
IF you will be in cover that requires the gun to be higher, then go up to the 9-13.
You may just buy both and determine which one you want or you may also keep both and choose the one for the conditions you will be shooting in.
FWIW- I have been known to carry another size in my pack (Just don't tell anyone:D)

I do not like any pods that mount on the stock fore-end! If your not using a structural stock the weight of the rifle pushes on the stock in turn the stock is pushing up on the barrel opening up your groups! I work in an optics shop here in Phoenix and just about every shooter that comes in trying to shoot off of bi-pods is having groups out in the 2-4 inch area. They try shooting again off a bag or rest at the floor plate and are back to 1"or less! I would check your rifle first before opting to a bi-pod. Just squeeze the fore-end and see if it flexes into the barrel.
Just for kicks I bought a Snipe pod and it works but takes some time to use. My AR10 varmint sports a Versa pod when I'm not shooting of my tripod with a rifle rest made by White Cloud Custom rifle. Check out his web page under products to see it! http://customrifleman.com/ I also use a folding style we manufacture for back packers.
When hunting I shoot off my Eberlestock backpack. Lying down or sitting the pack is a great support. If I sound like a salesman that is what I do, but all is experience with knowledge testing product out to save the buyer the bucks first. Please take a look at Wade Nelsons page Hardcore Outdoor - Best in class outdoor gear and equipment: boots, sleeping bags, binoculars He is not a paid spokesman but a hunter and rescue worker. He field-tests everything from socks to hats!
Good luck and have fun.
Steve
Outdoorsmans.com
gun)

Thanks for all the imput.
The stock is fully bedded with Aluminium so I do not think there will be any issues.
The rifle is a Custom Mauser 98 in cal. 8x68S:D The King of 8mm.

Cheers,

Master Diver

Beddings.jpg

Good to go!
The harriss will work great for what your looking for! The one modification I did with the one I had on my 300 Ultra was to rubber coat the springslightbulb. When fired the springs made an annoying sound and vibration that reverberated back and forth through the rifle!
Good luck and enjoy!
Steve.
The Outdoorsmans - Welcome

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.