What parts should not be cerakoted

frankidaho

I'm going to have my rifle painted with cerakote by someone with little gun experience. Are there any parts that should not be painted? eg bolt face, lugs etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.gun)

Every application is unique but generally speaking every part needs to be coated inside and out to benefit from the advantages of Cerakote. I do the bolt and the action inside and out. On a factory rifle the only parts I do not coat are the chamber and bore. I also don't coat the internals of the trigger group on a rifle. I do them on most pistols.

I was worried about affecting accuracy by changing the dimensions if the lugs, bolt face etc. Also, how did you plug up the bore and chamber. My barrel has a brake on it.

Doing the lugs and the bolt face are a non issue accuracy wise. They will wear to fit in short order. Depending on how tight the threads are on the muzzle brake we usually do threads on the barrel. I usually don't try to coat the threads inside the brake.

Do you disassemble the bolt and paint each piece separately, including the firing pin, springs,bolt handle etc. ?

The bolt needs to be taken apart before it is baked other wise you will probably end up with a weak firing pin spring. I happen to know this because whoever did my last coating for a gun I had built did not disassemble the bolt and I had a 57 fps extreme spread on the rounds that would go off. It had very weak primer strikes.

Of course. The bolt is disassembled. No baking of springs. I also don't coat tip of the firing pin. At 250 degrees our cure temp is a bit over the inside of a car in the Arizona desert with the windows up. I have recorded over 200 degrees there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.