What pack?

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by TheFishBox, May 28, 2013.

1. TheFishBox

TheFishBox Well-Known Member

So I am in need of a new pack and wanted to find out what you guys like. Here are my requirements, rifle scabbard close to back, place for a spotting scope and tripod preferably as one unit, place to stuff some extra clothes, hatchet, lighter and other stuff that I am probably forgetting. And would like it to be made in the USA.

Gun weighs in at 13 pounds with a nightforce so the scabbard has to be able to hold it. And the spotting scope is an 85mm so its big also

2. mullmann03

mullmann03 Well-Known Member

I don't know what your budget is but the Eberlestock j10m dragonfly fits large rifles and can be used as a day pack and to haul heavy loads. I saw this photo the other day and it shows how to carry a spotter on the pack. Scroll halfway down te page on this link. Backpack Tech Tips

3. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Well-Known Member

Check out the Kifaru bikini frame and timberline 1 or 2 bag.

4. RockChucker30

RockChucker30 Member

Is this for backpacking or just for hauling gun and gear on dayhunts? Will the same pack be needed for packing meat?

5. jbirdhunter

jbirdhunter Member

I second that.

6. TheFishBox

TheFishBox Well-Known Member

been busy and just got back in the train of thought for a backpack. So does anyone have real experience with packing a spotting scope and tripod covered in the pack. I have decided that's what i'm looking for so can you fit a tripod in one of the side pockets in a kifaru pack and then put an 85mm in the other side?

7. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Well-Known Member

A spotter and tripod is the intended purpose of the side pockets on the timberline series bags from Kifaru. I have a DT1 but not a large spotter so I can't post a picture.

8. jbirdhunter

jbirdhunter Member

I have a 60mm and I can put it and the tripod in one side.

9. dzlfarmboy

dzlfarmboy Well-Known Member

Big spotter and my pro slick tripod fit nice in my tube pockets on my Eberlestock dragonfly.

10. moecarama

moecarama Member

Probably a Eberlestock GunslingerII is what you might be looking for; contact ceylon at deltaoutdoorsman.com He is very knowledgeable about packs and their intended use.