What more do I need?

Sully, I hate to disagree with you on this, since we agree on everything else...

But, a 7mm-08 will never compare with a 7mm RemMag. I have had 3 7Mags (still have 2 of them, 1 got stolen), and still have my old 7mm-08 that I've had for 15 years now. The 7mm-08 is an excellent caliber for deer hunting...But it is not, and never will be quite on par with the 7mm RemMag and no where near the STW or RUM.

I think you're on track to a nice collection, and I can see you are a fan of the smaller bore calibers. I own a couple myself, and had a few in the past.

Even though you don't want anything .30 or larger, it appears you like short-action calibers. I feel everyone needs a heavy barrel .308 Win sitting in the stable for range shooting. The barrels last incredibly long, and reloading components are readily available just about everywhere. Under 50gr of powder means it's cheap to reload.

I did notice you also didn't have any 6.5's listed... The 6.5x284 Norma is a great little round for deer and LR shooting. And Lapua makes brass for it, which is also a huge plus, IMO.

If you don't mind me prying a little bit...What do you not like about the STW calibers? Sorry, but it struck my curiosity...

Once again, this is just giving my opinions, like you asked, and asking a couple questions. In the end it is your call, I was just trying to be helpful.

I never said it was "just as good" or anything like that. But I have absolutely no need for anything as powerful as a 7mm MAG. Health prevents me from high altitude hunting ( elk...etc) or arduous camp hunting as for say moose. I dont need a 308 to blow holes in paper and what I dont like about the STW calibers is the same as what I dont like about X-284 calibers. They are totally UN NEEDED.
As far as "short action calibers"....Ive got a 25-06!!!! And if I felt I had to have a small 30 caliber....Id go for the 30-06 round.

My buying / building spree all started when my wife told me I couldnt buy a .416 Rigby and go to africa...because she wasnt sleeping in a house where dead animals head were hanging on the walls......:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.