What MOA for my Lapua Scope mount

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Big Dad, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad Member

Hey Guys, Big Dad here with a confusing question for you extreme Long range shootest.....Last year my wife surprised me at Christmas with a Savage HS P .338 lapua. I have spent a year shopping for glass that I could afford and just bought a Vortex Viper 6X24X50 PST illuminated EBR-1. I really like American Defense scope mounts and am wondering what MOA (20, 30, 40?) Until a few years ago, have mainly been a Pistol shooting fool, so this long range thing is all New to my brain.
    Any thoughts would be Great......

2. vinson

vinson Member

That scope has 65 moa of total elevation adjustment, divide that by 2 and you are mechanically centered at 32.5 moa. You should be able to use a 30 moa base and make maximum use of your scopes travel. My 338 needs 80 moa to get to 2000 yards so this config or even a 20 moa base should get you there.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad Member

Vinson, thanks for the reply. As soon as I can get the scope mounted, will be zeroing in with Nosler Custom loads w/250gr. Accubond, then its all about reloading to obtain the sweet spot load. Just received 300rds of New Lapua brass, so will be looking for a good load as well.
    Thanks again,
    Big Dad

4. rem338um

rem338um Well-Known Member

Sorry ,,but last reply is incorrect....if the scope has 32.5 moa of up from center then you add a 20 or 30 moa base..that makes a total of 52.5 or 62.5 of up adjustment and that wont get you to a mile...mine take 70 moa to get to 1760 yards..you might make it to 1600 with the 30 moa base...just my experience talking.

5. Big Dad

Big Dad Member

Ok Rem, here's the deal. My Savage Precision came with a 20moa base, and I just picked up a set of American Defense Recon SL-30moa rings, so I am sitting on 50moa? Is this how it works. Gotta ask because this is All new to me......All the right advise I can receive makes Big Dad very happy.
    Thank you for your reply.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

IMHHO, Bruce puts it best ...

7. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

At our age, just seeing 1000 yards is a challenge.............:D

8. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I hear ya! This is my all time favorite ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRaRCCZjdTM"]LONGEST LONG RIFLE SHOT EVER - YouTube[/ame]