What makes a bullet a good bullet?

Pure luck! That's good to know. I'm still learning, like I said gusting. I wasn't using a kestrel or flag. I think I can tell the difference between 10mph and 20mph(I could be off though), then there's my perception of 2" hold at 18x etc. I WAG'd it, and it worked. It was lasered for distance, so +/-3yds?

"What makes a bullet a good bullet?" One word,,,,, consistency!,,,,,,,, which leads to,,,,,,,,,,, repeatability!

Look at the properties of the bullets which competition shooters in various sports and expert hunters use for various game at various ranges. The bulets can be considerably different just for a change in distance or wind condition. , They will be selected to give good consistency for the particular application and conditions.

The thing which I believe mostly makes a decent bullet a good bullet is having a skilled shooter selecting and firing it.

Since you wrote that 500 yards is the furthest, then I can assume that you may be shooting much closer too!

IMO, your risk is too high of an impact velocity for some bullets which results in massive wounds and reduced penetration.

I mainly shoot a custom smokeless ML at between 2900 and 3200 fps depending on bullets and loads.
IMO, the Accubond will do an excellent job anywhere from zero to 500 yards.
Here are 4 examples on medium size whitetail deer with 3 different bullets over the past couple of years:

150 grain 30 caliber SST
75 yards nearly facing me
bullet entered just left of neck and the jacket was recovered in the opposite rear leg under the skin and the core exited.
While I got great penetration I was a bit worried since the core left the jacket.
Deer ran 60-70 yards.

CIMG0276.jpg

150 grain 30 caliber Accubond
325 yards laying down broadside
Bullet took out heart and exited for parts unknown
Deer jumped up ran short distance with nose in dirt and flipped over dead.

200 grain 8mm SMK
50 yards quartering to me
Bullet entered just behind near leg and exited offside through guts.
Most disgusting wound I've ever seen and one of only a few deer that I have not eaten the tenderloins on.
intestines were sticking out both the entrance and exit holes!

200 grain 8mm SMK
100 yards nearly broadside
Bullet entered just behind the heart and exited a few ribs back on the opposite side.
Deer ran about 100 yards
Even though the bullet past through only the heart/lung cavity, the intestines were sucked through the diaphragm, and about 20 yards from the shot I found 1/2 of the liver laying on the ground!

IMO, any of these bullets would do the job and I only recovered part of one.
IMO, if I had to chose just one of these it would be the Accubond because if I messed up the shot and it entered the rear leg of a highly quartering away shot I know that it will still be in one piece and should reach the vitals.
I don't know that the SMK would make it and it will destroy a huge amount of meat...but it has the best BC by a long shot so if you decide that 500 yards is not your max then they deserve a look.
The SST did go from end to end, but not much was left and if it hit the leg entering I don't know how well it would have fared.

Since this is a ML I shoot it out each night and I shot the Accubond through a 6 inch diameter tree from about 47 yards to see what it would do. It went through and lodged in another tree a few feet away so I cut it out.

Here is the tree with a can of powder for size comparison along with the bullet from both ends.
Recovered weight was 107 grains or about 71%

Accubondthrutree004.jpg

Accubondthrutree002.jpg

Accubondthrutree001.jpg

edge.

Last edited:
The Ballistic Coefficient, specifically the G7 model. The higher the number the less drag it has. Most mfg are using the G1 drag model which has inherent problems since most modern bullets do not fit the G1 model. Elevation also has a direct affect on the BC due to air density.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.