what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

I agree, but I would go with the 6mm Ackley over both. Then again, I chose to build mind on the LA for repeating and feeding the 105 Berger Hunting VLDs

I've owned a 6mmAI as well as a regular 6mm Remington in the past. Never fell for the .243 trap, as I already knew. Got talked into the 6/250AI while examining the 6XC and thinking about a 6HLS build. Personally the 6HLS maybe the best of the bunch, and for sure is better than anything you can do with a .243 case. But this BG round simply looks great. It's like a cross between a 6BR and a 6HLS. Will easilly push 105 gr. AMAX bullets to 2990 fps out of a 24" barrel. Has a .35" neck length which means your not reducing the case volume with a bullet seated past the neck into the shoulder. It won't run with a 6AI for sure, but it'll still be plenty good enough for as far as I can shoot.
gary

I've owned a 6mmAI as well as a regular 6mm Remington in the past. Never fell for the .243 trap, as I already knew. Got talked into the 6/250AI while examining the 6XC and thinking about a 6HLS build. Personally the 6HLS maybe the best of the bunch, and for sure is better than anything you can do with a .243 case. But this BG round simply looks great. It's like a cross between a 6BR and a 6HLS. Will easilly push 105 gr. AMAX bullets to 2990 fps out of a 24" barrel. Has a .35" neck length which means your not reducing the case volume with a bullet seated past the neck into the shoulder. It won't run with a 6AI for sure, but it'll still be plenty good enough for as far as I can shoot.
gary

I know a guy that shoots benchrest and shot a lot of 6 BR and 6 PPC. He mentioned the HLS. I have never even seen a cartridge in person. Sounds interesting.

The only thing that almost swayed me to the 243AI was the Lapua brass, but it wasn't enough. I love the 6AI. It is a new addition, but I love it.

I have 3 buddies that shoot the 1000 Penns. type bench. They are all shooting 6 dashers and having luck. I know they are shooting 105's at 3050 about just from casual chat.All 3 are record holders I think, the 2 are for sure and MT hall of famers . The one guy has 4-5 world records . I dont know much about there set ups, did shoot one of the rifles, they have heavy and light gun,lookes like fun. The one guy uses his older 300wsm bench rig as a truck gun for east side speed goats and deer. They have a 7mm also,but I dont recall if it was a wsm, one of them shot a deer at just under 1600

I have 3 buddies that shoot the 1000 Penns. type bench. They are all shooting 6 dashers and having luck. I know they are shooting 105's at 3050 about just from casual chat.All 3 are record holders I think, the 2 are for sure and MT hall of famers . The one guy has 4-5 world records . I dont know much about there set ups, did shoot one of the rifles, they have heavy and light gun,lookes like fun. The one guy uses his older 300wsm bench rig as a truck gun for east side speed goats and deer. They have a 7mm also,but I dont recall if it was a wsm, one of them shot a deer at just under 1600

Yeah, the Dasher are winning all of those type matches, just like the PPC is winning all the 100 and 200 yard bench and sporter bench comps. They are the new big dogs.

I was 100% decided on the 7wsm..but after much reading..I have decided on going with the 300 wsm..shorter bullets. I will do up a 7mm variant but it will be on a LA...probably 7mm/375 Ruger, Rem mag or STW.lol

Nice round. I am sure you will like it. It will be much better on the barrel for sure than the 7 WSM. I just prefer the 7mm ballistically to the 30 cal. But they are both great choices.

I know a guy that shoots benchrest and shot a lot of 6 BR and 6 PPC. He mentioned the HLS. I have never even seen a cartridge in person. Sounds interesting.

The only thing that almost swayed me to the 243AI was the Lapua brass, but it wasn't enough. I love the 6AI. It is a new addition, but I love it.

Thr "HLS" case is really very simple in design. You ream the chamber with a standard 6mm Remington reamer, but the with a .250 case length (shoulders). There's also another version that is improved with 30 degree shoulders. Then there is the International that has a shorter neck length and a 30 degree shoulder. There's also the Durham International that is basicly a 6mm AI reamed to 1.875 depth. This is a nice round, and will push a 105 grain bullet to a little over 3200 fps! I knew an old man (we all get there sooner or later) that shot this round for twenty years. Must have killed 5,000 groundhogs! He formed his cases out of .243 brass. He's long gone, and have wondered what he'd have done with all the better bullets and cases we have today.
gary

Lapua Guy,

I do like the Dasher for sure. When it first came to light however you heard all these claims of +4000 fps with 55-58 gr bullets and 3200 fps with 105 to 107 gr match bullets and I always wondered just how in the hell they were getting these numbers.

Like most new wildcats, things can get a little blown out of perspective which I think was the case there.

When I referred to the "Magic" of the 6mm Dasher, I was referring to these early claims. In reality, 2900-2950 fps seems just about right in the Dasher with the 107 gr SMK which again, is quite impressive at 1000 yards, I fully agree.

Personally, I like the 6mm-250 better, may not be the modern case design but I really do not like fireforming for a high volume rifle and any rifle I have in this class will be a high volume varmint rig. I am not a 100 or 200 yard BR shooter but for them, its not a big deal to form up only 100 rounds and your set. For the Montana P. Dog hunter, 500 rounds is a good weekend of shooting and I hate to have to reload while the dogs are barking back at me!!! LOL

It is a great round though, amazing what can be gotten out of that little BR case. I have been thinking of doing a similiar wildcat on the 20 cal. I think that would be about the cats rear for a high performance 20 cal varmint round.

Lapua Guy,

I do like the Dasher for sure. When it first came to light however you heard all these claims of +4000 fps with 55-58 gr bullets and 3200 fps with 105 to 107 gr match bullets and I always wondered just how in the hell they were getting these numbers.

Like most new wildcats, things can get a little blown out of perspective which I think was the case there.

When I referred to the "Magic" of the 6mm Dasher, I was referring to these early claims. In reality, 2900-2950 fps seems just about right in the Dasher with the 107 gr SMK which again, is quite impressive at 1000 yards, I fully agree.

Personally, I like the 6mm-250 better, may not be the modern case design but I really do not like fireforming for a high volume rifle and any rifle I have in this class will be a high volume varmint rig. I am not a 100 or 200 yard BR shooter but for them, its not a big deal to form up only 100 rounds and your set. For the Montana P. Dog hunter, 500 rounds is a good weekend of shooting and I hate to have to reload while the dogs are barking back at me!!! LOL

It is a great round though, amazing what can be gotten out of that little BR case. I have been thinking of doing a similiar wildcat on the 20 cal. I think that would be about the cats rear for a high performance 20 cal varmint round.

So, when someone says a 6-250, is that the same as the 6HLS then?

Also, I know a guy that necked his 6BR down to 20. It is a varmint slayer and is getting close to 22-250 ballistics and energy he is claiming.

I am always amazed at the BR and PPC cases and how efficient they are. That little 220 Russian case is quite a design for the 6 PPC.

To tell you the truth, I think I am going to just have a nice varmint load for my 6AI. Thinking of trying those 62 gr Barnes Varmint Grenades. Used them in 224 for a 5.7x28 I have in a PS90 PDW (soon will have it in a Walking Varminter too). Problem is that I have a fast twist barrel being that I will be shooting 115 and 105 Bergers, so not sure how well they will shoot.

Last edited:
Not sure on the specs of the 6mmHLS.

My reamer is speced simply as a 22-250 necked up to 6mm with no other changes at all. Very similiar to the old 6mm International I believe but I also believe that wildcat was based on a 250 Savage case so the neck thickness may be larger diameter, not sure.

The BR and PPC cases are quite impressive that is for sure. I have been going back and forth on several, the 6mm BR, Dasher and 6-250. I just really do not like fireforming for a high volume shooter. The BR has better brass but its a bit harder to get and costs more. Not a big issue.

In the end, its really a moot point, do not have time to build myself a rifle before varmint season anyway!!

I have only shot the Varmint Grenades on three occasions, all in 224 cal, 218 Mashurn bee where they shot extremely well. Tried them in a 223 Rem AI and got so-so results. Tried them in a 22-250 AI and accuracy was terrible.

Seems they are much better suited for the moderate velocity chamberings. Will be interested to hear your results with your 6mm and how they shoot in it.

Not sure on the specs of the 6mmHLS.

My reamer is speced simply as a 22-250 necked up to 6mm with no other changes at all. Very similiar to the old 6mm International I believe but I also believe that wildcat was based on a 250 Savage case so the neck thickness may be larger diameter, not sure.

The BR and PPC cases are quite impressive that is for sure. I have been going back and forth on several, the 6mm BR, Dasher and 6-250. I just really do not like fireforming for a high volume shooter. The BR has better brass but its a bit harder to get and costs more. Not a big issue.

In the end, its really a moot point, do not have time to build myself a rifle before varmint season anyway!!

I have only shot the Varmint Grenades on three occasions, all in 224 cal, 218 Mashurn bee where they shot extremely well. Tried them in a 223 Rem AI and got so-so results. Tried them in a 22-250 AI and accuracy was terrible.

Seems they are much better suited for the moderate velocity chamberings. Will be interested to hear your results with your 6mm and how they shoot in it.

the 6HLS chamber can be reamed with a standard 6mm Remington reamer to the .250 shoulder depth. You have the prefered neck length of the 6mm Remington, but with a much for efficient case volume. It's also a very accurate round and was used in benchrest shooting for awhile.

There are actually three different rounds with the word "International" in there name. All come off the same parent case design. The Donaldson International is pretty much a .250 case necked down to 6mm with a 30 degree shoulder with a neck that looks to be about .300". It'll push a 100 grain bullet well over 3100fps.
The 6mm Remington International is also made off the .250 case. But the neck is pushed back quite a lot. Mike Walker claimed 3000fps with a 100 grain bullet. Then there is the Durham International. It's made off the .243 case, and the neck is similar to the Remington International. Shoulder angle is 40 degrees, and overall length is 1.875"

Kind of amazing that everytime we fire up the CAD program to design the killer cartridge with your own name on it. We only find out some other guy did it twenty years prior!
gary

Boy there a lot more choices than what I thought, think Mabey I will just put a faster barrel on it and have it blueprinted,I already have lots of brass and dies. MR KIRBY what twist do u think for the 115 grain bullets.

There are actually three different rounds with the word "International" in there name. All come off the same parent case design. The Donaldson International is pretty much a .250 case necked down to 6mm with a 30 degree shoulder with a neck that looks to be about .300". It'll push a 100 grain bullet well over 3100fps.
The 6mm Remington International is also made off the .250 case. But the neck is pushed back quite a lot. Mike Walker claimed 3000fps with a 100 grain bullet. Then there is the Durham International. It's made off the .243 case, and the neck is similar to the Remington International. Shoulder angle is 40 degrees, and overall length is 1.875"

Kind of amazing that everytime we fire up the CAD program to design the killer cartridge with your own name on it. We only find out some other guy did it twenty years prior!
gary

The only" international" chamberings I have had dealings with were rimmed, based on the 30-30 case. The 7mm international is very close to the 7-30 Waters.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.