What kind of accuracy from a BAR?

4bycamper

Looking at getting a short track BAR in 243 Rem. Got a night sight and I want to drop some coyotes in the dark. My first BAR, I'm usually a bolt kinda guy and I like Browning A Bolts so...
What kind of accuracy can I expect? As good as a bolt or not quite?
Is it even possible to re-barrel this rifle if this turns out bad...?
Anyone ??

Looking at getting a short track BAR in 243 Rem. Got a night sight and I want to drop some coyotes in the dark. My first BAR, I'm usually a bolt kinda guy and I like Browning A Bolts so...
Anyone ??

Why not try an AR-10? It can be had in .243 and is a proven accurate system.

My .30-06 BAR was respectably accurate. I don't have any details because it was a long time ago.

Anyone ??
The Browning Bar safari is my favorite rifle. I have a 270 win and it will shoot a half inch group at 100yards. That is with 130 sierra gameking 53 grains of IMR 4350. The only things that has been done is re crowned, Trigger job and I lapped the chamber some so it would cycle better. Very nice rifles. I have a few friends that own the short track and are not even close to the safari accuracy. Another rifle that my friend has is a FN 308 that is built like the bar and it shoots real well. Before buying the Short track check out those 2 rifles.

DZ and Moose Thanks

Like your rifles, some of my friends shoot the BAR with a steel receiver.
Heavy but they shoot well.
I think the short track uses an aluminum receiver, and I was wondering how it shoots.

Thanks for the heads up.

DZ and Moose Thanks

Like your rifles, some of my friends shoot the BAR with a steel receiver.
Heavy but they shoot well.
I think the short track uses an aluminum receiver, and I was wondering how it shoots.

Thanks for the heads up.
I have two friends who I have reloaded for shoot Browning shot tracks. One is grouping around 2 inches at 100yards and the other is doing a little better but not much. One of the guys has a 30-06 long track and unless that rifle is spotless it will jam.

Last edited:
I have a safari in 300wsm that shoots.5"groups.
I also have a short trac in 243 that I haven't shot yet.
Ill put some factory ammo in it next week and give you a report

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.