Votes: 822 22.2%
  • 45-54

Votes: 849 22.9%
  • 55-64

Votes: 810 21.9%
  • 65+

Votes: 313 8.4%

• Total voters
Interesting how the % really jumps after 24 and stays very consistent and then really drops after 64.

Thats cause most guys 24 and younger are just as interested or more interested in chasing skirts, buying beer, and fixing thier pickups as they are shooting and hunting.
25 and up are mostly married and have families and enough responsibilitys, and bills that theyre only allowed (or can afford) 1 hobby.
35 and up are still bound and determined to be the best at thier chosen hobby, and have usually started to acquire the tools and equipment to be thier best, or at least give them a decisive advantage over thier buddys.
45 and up are taking thier sons and daughters hunting still and had to take a temporary lull in acquiring tools for themselves, in order to acquire rifles for young ones to be able to enjoy the sport. But it seems that lull in the action can sneak up on some folks and by the time theyre in the next catagory;
55 and up recieve thier complimentary AARP card and while some are completely insulted(YOU WANNA BE IN THIS CATAGORY), others decide that they must be too old to do what they used to with as much ''fire'' and vigor. DONT BE ONE OF THESE GUYS!
65+ they know most all the tricks, have more perscription pills than loaded ammo, and have acquired enough toys to last them another lifetime, and they begin to hand down thier equipment/rifles to the younger generation who's chompin at the bit to race to the top of the mountain to try it out.
This seems like a very vicious cycle! It is also the reason I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!!!! 65 cant be that bad! besides Ive told myself for years that 65 is the only birthday I have left to look forward to after I turned 21. Dont ruin it for me guys!
Im only 34, and I may be way off on my ''view of how it is'', but it looks that way from here. Wich is also why guys like Roy, whos so old and decrepid he cant even see the target anymore, and Chas, who thinks he's nippin on the heels of Roy are my heros. THEY DONT GIVE UP, and from what I see, THEY REFUSE TO GROW UP TOO! Someday when Im ''seasoned'' Im gonna be like them. Theyre like the crazy uncle every boy needs to teach them the very things our parents tried to shield us from:D.
My grandpa was a great role model, and my dad still is. He's my hunting buddy and my friend as well as my dad. Now I have the icing on the cake with L/R/H, and its local characters that I call friends.
This is kinda like the ''he man woman haters club'' from the little rascals.:D

winmag, I think your assessment is spot on. At 34 I admire your wisdom. Although in my case I was married at 19 and still happily married to the same lady. It's like I've said to my wife sometimes when we are sitting around just chatting...that I think most folks spend the first 55 years collecting all this stuff froms guns to comforters and the rest of their years trying to unload it. I think as we get older it's a little bit of the "less is better" mentallity. Heck as your getting older who wants to take care of all this stuff...cars, boats, shop tools, multiple hobbies etc. So for me I've decided to have one hobby/focus and it's shooting.

I laughed so hard when I read the part about Roy being so old and decrepid...I think I might have peed myself:D:D. But, too be fair about it I suspect Roy could probably shoot the pants off both of us combined and we already know he's forgot more about this stuff than we know.:) Seriously I know you were only kidding.

I appreciate your kind words my friend. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Your a good Man and a dedicated caring Dad. Keep doing what your doing and when your kids are all grown up you will still be their best friend. PS...please continue to keep us laughing here at LRH.:)...it helps keep us old farts (remember the "old farts" post, I still crackup when I think about it) laughing.

Last edited:
Ya, your right Chas. Im sure Roy could out shoot me in any decrepid state he was in. Even with no prune juice, or fiber hed make me look like a silly punk kid. I meant no dis respect to my elders, or my betters. I was just playin catch up to Roy for not so settle ''burns'' he leaves for me to find on somebody's post:D. He is a master at it!
But yes in all seriousness Im very aware he's cagy, and could probably send one of his IWK's at light speed to my front door from Idaho. This is also one of the reasons I respect him so much. He's good (very good) at what he does. I swear if he was a bit further north in Idaho, he'd have a wife named Bunn, and he'd be a famous outdoor writer that went by Pat McManus. His posts always make me laugh till I almost pee my pants.
Between fire forming brass from his window and scaring the heck out of his wife, to using superglue on loose primer pockets, to his unbelivable home made contraptions for this and that, to his bout with a new fangled battery cable and mentaly challenged auto parts salesman, he's real, and he's fun, and absolutely hillarious.
Your one of a kind Roy, and Im glad cause I dont know how the rest of us would cope with two of you:D.

Geez winmag,

Yur way too kind.......

Just finished watching Blackhawk Down........and feel like kickin' some but!:)

I ran some tests the other day with my new fangled infra-red thermometer (29.95 from arbor freight). Set big barreled 270 AM out in the sun. Barrel about 1/2 way from forearm to break went nearly 200 degrees. That's hotter than I let it get when shooting.

Spent the afternoon extending the canopy for my shooting mat to shade the barrel in addition to shading me. Even took an afternoon nap in it.:D

If I'd of known that this age was so good I'd have hurried up to get here.

Been married to the same wonderful lady for 41 years. (We both forgot the anniversary this year.......way to busy). We have 7 wonderful children and 15.98 grand children. The whole kit and kabudal think I'm weird!

BTW, Every one that has shot my rifles have out shot me. How about them apples?

Thats cause most guys 24 and younger are just as interested or more interested in chasing skirts, buying beer, and fixing thier pickups as they are shooting and hunting.
25 and up are mostly married and have families and enough responsibilitys, and bills that theyre only allowed (or can afford) 1 hobby.
35 and up are still bound and determined to be the best at thier chosen hobby, and have usually started to acquire the tools and equipment to be thier best, or at least give them a decisive advantage over thier buddys.
45 and up are taking thier sons and daughters hunting still and had to take a temporary lull in acquiring tools for themselves, in order to acquire rifles for young ones to be able to enjoy the sport. But it seems that lull in the action can sneak up on some folks and by the time theyre in the next catagory;
55 and up recieve thier complimentary AARP card and while some are completely insulted(YOU WANNA BE IN THIS CATAGORY), others decide that they must be too old to do what they used to with as much ''fire'' and vigor. DONT BE ONE OF THESE GUYS!
65+ they know most all the tricks, have more perscription pills than loaded ammo, and have acquired enough toys to last them another lifetime, and they begin to hand down thier equipment/rifles to the younger generation who's chompin at the bit to race to the top of the mountain to try it out.
This seems like a very vicious cycle! It is also the reason I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!!!! 65 cant be that bad! besides Ive told myself for years that 65 is the only birthday I have left to look forward to after I turned 21. Dont ruin it for me guys!
Im only 34, and I may be way off on my ''view of how it is'', but it looks that way from here. Wich is also why guys like Roy, whos so old and decrepid he cant even see the target anymore, and Chas, who thinks he's nippin on the heels of Roy are my heros. THEY DONT GIVE UP, and from what I see, THEY REFUSE TO GROW UP TOO! Someday when Im ''seasoned'' Im gonna be like them. Theyre like the crazy uncle every boy needs to teach them the very things our parents tried to shield us from:D.
My grandpa was a great role model, and my dad still is. He's my hunting buddy and my friend as well as my dad. Now I have the icing on the cake with L/R/H, and its local characters that I call friends.
This is kinda like the ''he man woman haters club'' from the little rascals.:D

WOW, ditto that man!!!!

"or at least give them a decisive advantage over thier buddys." That's the truth, my buddy is already looking for a 338-378 to try to get the edge on me but I'm going to pull the Chytac on him :D
There is a good bunch of fun old guys (coming into their prime) here that are an inspiration to us at our age, I sure hope some of that know how rubs of on us, I know they have been patient with me and gave some sage advice sprinkle with some gut busting humor.

Pat McManus=Roy I just lost it :D:D