What is working to locate or attract wolves?

it was bound to happen with this group....from here on we'll have two camps disagreeing on how far behind the collar equals proper shot placement. LOL! As far as attracting them I understand if you go into any of the designated recovery areas, and do anything that remotely resembles trying to make a living they'll show up.

it was bound to happen with this group....from here on we'll have two camps disagreeing on how far behind the collar equals proper shot placement. LOL! .

Let me start..:) For these animals I would use a real "hunting bullet" :rolleyes: constructed so that it will penetrate deep and exit leaving the same size hole as the entrance. Probably something of the solid copper family. That way you don't have the worries of the dreaded "DRT" syndrome....:D:D

Love

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start..:) For these animals I would use a real "hunting bullet" :rolleyes: constructed so that it will penetrate deep and exit leaving the same size hole as the entrance. Probably something of the solid copper family. That way you don't have the worries of the dreaded "DRT" syndrome....:D:D

Love

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 on that! Match grade ammo, as in matching holes:D?!?

I was out a couple days ago and it was day 11 wolf hunting, see fresh tracks almost everytime. Trying to howl them, then the hurt pup. I got out to howl and I heard them. I got closer and I howl w/ my elk call and tube. I really had them going, a bunch lit in, sounded like I was within 1/4 mile, but I was in thick trees and was never able to pin them down.Spent all afternoon, looping around in my jeep and did not find them again. They are hard to catch up with, since it is so timbered, a logger told me this pack WAS 17 earlier in the seasongun)

I was out a couple days ago and it was day 11 wolf hunting, see fresh tracks almost everytime. Trying to howl them, then the hurt pup. I got out to howl and I heard them. I got closer and I howl w/ my elk call and tube. I really had them going, a bunch lit in, sounded like I was within 1/4 mile, but I was in thick trees and was never able to pin them down.Spent all afternoon, looping around in my jeep and did not find them again. They are hard to catch up with, since it is so timbered, a logger told me this pack WAS 17 earlier in the seasongun)

**** it you need more back up members. I offer my experience they are never exactly consistant, but I have found they have certain avenues of travel and escape. I also know that if you can hear them howling and get as close as possible before you howl it gives them less time to investigate you, or get down wind. Everyone probably knows this, but it seams that they will sit down and howl for quite a little while, and the ground will be just matted with tracks. This "randevous spot" will often be in the same area on a ridge or knob. Around here they love to travel through burns and small logged areas within the timber. Can a guy get a horse through the timber, or is it too thick or blown down?
Good luck ventilating mutts

**** it you need more back up members. I offer my experience they are never exactly consistant, but I have found they have certain avenues of travel and escape. I also know that if you can hear them howling and get as close as possible before you howl it gives them less time to investigate you, or get down wind. Everyone probably knows this, but it seams that they will sit down and howl for quite a little while, and the ground will be just matted with tracks. This "randevous spot" will often be in the same area on a ridge or knob. Around here they love to travel through burns and small logged areas within the timber. Can a guy get a horse through the timber, or is it too thick or blown down?
Good luck ventilating mutts
It might not matter, if 6x6 is hunting the 101 zone, it closes tonight at midnight. As far as most of the 101 zone, it's a mix of heavy timber and areas you can travel on horseback. There's quite a few logging roads etc that are best accessed on horses, but it's pretty tight once you get off most of the roads. The southern bit of it opens up pretty well, but is a bit harder to get to. We've got a ton of rescent burns too. But it looks like a guy would have to go elsewhere to fill a tag till next season. West of 101 would be a good bet.
Cody

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.