what is with oil in the barrel?

shawn68

I was at a different web site. The site had tables with charges in grains, bullet type, weight and group size listed. The smallest groups were highlighted and a * next to it saying,"oil in barrel" What does this mean? Would some one explain this to my ignorant a@%.

Would some one explain this to me.

After cleaning the rifle oil usually is used to counter act the cleaning solution. The clean bbl or oil bbl shot will be different than a fired or fouled barrel shot. If your shooting for a group, the first or even second shots should be considered sighter rounds.

Dave

I have heard stories of some BR shooters running an oiled patch down the bore between each shot. They say this eliminated copper fouling and tightened accuracy. It may well do this but it is really unpractical to do inmost cases even for BR shooters.

There are not to many things that BR shooters have not tested and tried over the years!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

A friend was talking to Darrel Holland a while back about barrel break in and Holland was saying to lube the bore with vaseline every 2 shots then clean and to never shoot a dry barrel. I never oil a barrel unless it is going into storage for the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.