What is the scariest/funniest thing you have seen at a local rifle range?

webs

What are the scariest and funniest things you have seen at the range?

For me, the scariest was when a guy sat down next to me and pulled out a Bushmaster 50 bmg. I had to stand up and move behind him every time he was ready to shoot.

Funniest has to be the guys that come out to sight in their rifles for deer season and shoot 3 times at a 18" steel target at 100 yards then say they are good to go even though they have no clue where they hit the target.

Funniest- Seeing Bill Alexander cussing while carrying eight Vltor piston driven 6.5 grendel uppers up a snow covered road to a National Forest range just to find out that they weren't going perform as well as he had hoped. (he explained it to me in engineer talk but that's a language I don't speak)

Scariest- people shooting the ground in front of them while on the trap line because they loaded their guns way too early.

Last was a poorly set up clay target shoot where the trap line was in the fall line for shot from the sporting clays course. It messes with your nerves when you're getting pelted with shot during a competition.

Two years ago we had invited hunters who are not visiting the shooting tange on a regular base for some target shooting with their own guns.
We assisted in re-adjusting the scopes, helped to improve shooting skills, provided information on new bullet types and so one.
When guns did not perform well, we assisted to find the most common mistakes.

One of the guys complained that the gun did not fire after he pulled the trigger.
After a short waiting period I opened the chamber and found a 7x64 loaded in his 6,5x68. The guy did not even understand that I was very happy as the shot was not fired...

Sometimes also stupid ones survive by luck....
I have seen photos, where a 7x64 exploded in a 6,5x68. The gun was not in good conditions after that experiment.

I don't really have a funny one, but the scariest was in a club house at a trap range. A father was showing his son the "correct" way to check and make sure a pump shotgun was empty. His technique was to quickly rack the pump and pull the trigger several times. I was only about 13 or 14 when I witnessed this, and it has stuck in my head as clear as day as one of the stupidest things I ever saw.

Last was a poorly set up clay target shoot where the trap line was in the fall line for shot from the sporting clays course. It messes with your nerves when you're getting pelted with shot during a competition.[/QUOTE]

I have had this happen to me quite a few times. Even this year during a shoot there were people that would be walking about 250 yards in front of a 5 stand field. I would make everyone wait for me until the people would walk past.

Last was a poorly set up clay target shoot where the trap line was in the fall line for shot from the sporting clays course. It messes with your nerves when you're getting pelted with shot during a competition.

I have had this happen to me quite a few times. Even this year during a shoot there were people that would be walking about 250 yards in front of a 5 stand field. I would make everyone wait for me until the people would walk past.[/QUOTE]

I was on the closest trap line to a tower teal sporting clays stand; so the angle was quite high, and maybe the wind too. I actually ended up with the best trap round I ever shot (97) so maybe it didn't affect me that much. It was simply poor planning on the range's part though.

Funniest: A poor schmuck with a brand new Weatherby in.270 with a nice Lupy scope on it shows up at the range to test fire his new gun. Going deer hunting for the first time he say's, sends a few rounds down range and can't figure out where they went. "Dang, they said this gun was sighted in and ready to go at the store!" I tried to spend a little time explaining windage and elevation turrets and how to unscrew the covers to access them, but he just got PO'ed and left.

Scariest: Young man who has more money than sense, he came around one day with his pickup full of tricked out class three weapons. He was walking towards our little plinking berm with a glock in each hand, extended magazines and all, firing bursts as he went, most of which went over the berm and richocheted all over the place, he just kept going.
I left before he could get his custom Mini 14 rolling, met the Range Master at the gate, he promptly and vociferously gave the kid the boot.

As the wise man said " You can't fix stupid"

The scariest thing I ever experienced was when I was in the army, we were at the range qualifying with our m4's. One in my unit from Costa Rica who hadnt had much experience with firearms could not get his weapon zeroed. His seargant told him to go do dime drills over at the staging area wich was directly behind the berm we were firing from. So The he and the seargant both check the rifle to make sure ints not loaded and they go over and get ready for the drills. Tovar gets down in the pone position and seargant Mcnight puts and dime on the end of his barrel, They have the weapon pointing towards all of us over on the berm qualifying. Next thing I hear pow and a bullet buzz by us. They failed to unload the weapon and he nearly shot one of my good friends in the back, barely missed him. They both got article 15 and lost rank for the neglegant discharge, that could have easly killed someone.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.