wHAT IS THE BARREL LIFE OF A SAKO .338 LAPUA RIFLE

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by subsonicwarthog, Jul 22, 2004.

1. subsonicwarthog

subsonicwarthog Member

I HAVE BOTH THE .308 TRG-22 AND THE TRG-42 IN .338 LAPUA AND LOVE THEM BOTH. I ALSO SHOOT EVERY WEEK AT THE RANGE HERE IN ARIZONA AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE LIFE EXPECTENCY OF BOTH GUNS BARRELS. LET ME KNOW PLEASE

2. DANTEC

DANTEC Well-Known Member

barrel ife is in 1000/1200 rounds full accuracy ( factory accuracy ) perhaps reach 1500 without toobad accuracy

long bearing bullet , big caliber are very hard on rifling .

I have one spare barrel ( factory new take off ) stainless for sale at 320 USD !!!!

good shooting

DAN TEC

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Although I can not answer your question specifically, I have observed that the rate of throat erosion is HIGHLY dependant on the number of consecutive rounds fired, or in other words, internal metal temperature.

I have toasted small/medium bore barrels but ignoring the barrel temperature. Didn't have the time or patients to allow the barrel to cool COMPLETELY.

Conversely, I have two overbored cartridge guns that I NEVER shoot hot and always allow to fully cool (yes, its a pain in the neck sometimes). Both of them have exceeded the normal expected throat life and still shoot exceptionally well.

Heat kills throats.

VH

4. kidcoltoutlaw

kidcoltoutlaw Well-Known Member

thats why i had my 338 sendero worked over by HART.it now is a switch barrel gun all i do is order a barrel and put it on myself thanks,keith