wHAT IS THE BARREL LIFE OF A SAKO .338 LAPUA RIFLE

I HAVE BOTH THE .308 TRG-22 AND THE TRG-42 IN .338 LAPUA AND LOVE THEM BOTH. I ALSO SHOOT EVERY WEEK AT THE RANGE HERE IN ARIZONA AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE LIFE EXPECTENCY OF BOTH GUNS BARRELS. LET ME KNOW PLEASE

barrel ife is in 1000/1200 rounds full accuracy ( factory accuracy ) perhaps reach 1500 without toobad accuracy

long bearing bullet , big caliber are very hard on rifling .

I have one spare barrel ( factory new take off ) stainless for sale at 320 USD !!!!

good shooting

DAN TEC

Although I can not answer your question specifically, I have observed that the rate of throat erosion is HIGHLY dependant on the number of consecutive rounds fired, or in other words, internal metal temperature.

I have toasted small/medium bore barrels but ignoring the barrel temperature. Didn't have the time or patients to allow the barrel to cool COMPLETELY.

Conversely, I have two overbored cartridge guns that I NEVER shoot hot and always allow to fully cool (yes, its a pain in the neck sometimes). Both of them have exceeded the normal expected throat life and still shoot exceptionally well.

Heat kills throats.

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.