What is required to convert my win 70 la .270 over to 6.5x284??

You may have to do a little work opening up the action due to the 284 case being larger if you want a repeater that is, case head dims are the same so the bolt face would not need work.

Not a problem glad to help! but you may look at a 6.5-06 nothing but a barrel change and pretty dang close ballistics and you could use all your fired 270 brass you would just have to trim unless your smith could cut your chamber to use 270 brass, a pass through the FL 6.5-06 die and your there. I was looking hard at the 6.5-06 and the 280 for a strickly hunting rig and well with advice from many folks I have settled on the 280AI due to the fact I can launch heavier bullets. Anyway you have a blast with you choice and best of luck to ya. Later,

Kirk

6.5 x 284 Lapua brass is a plus if you are looking for accuracy. I converted my Remington 700 in 30-06 to 6.5 x 284. It is certainly a great long range performer. Caution though, 6.5's can be addictive!

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.