What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

Area 5 has sheep outside the wilderness. You can access the sheep country on the divide between the Greybull river and the south fork of the Shoshone by using the road going up the carter mountains to the head of Picket creek{use a 4 wheeler}. Backpack from there. The divide between picket and piney creek is the wilderness boundary. other areas are around kerwin off the wood river or Aldrich creek off the south fork of the Shoshone. Hope you are in great shape as this is huge country with plenty of Grizzly's. I will be hunting 5 his year with a friend , so check back after the first couple weeks and I might be of more help.

I too will be hunting area 5 with a friend this year. When are you planning on going Quailhunter? We will be hunting the first 2 weeks. Good luck to you and Bighorn Ram!! Sheep hunting is the ultimate!

Hey folks,

I just got back. I had no luck on seeing any large numbers of big rams. I did see a lot of ewes and lambs. I ran into a few bands of small rams.

I spent about six days in the back country. I was near Bald Mountain on the Wood River drainage and Jack Creek on the north end. It snowed and rained for a few days and that messed up my hunt somewhat.

I'm heading back for one more week at the end of October.

I'll keep you posted. Please do likewise. Good luck to all!

Thanks!

Good luck to all you guys still trying to fill that sheep tag...I have 14 pts to-date and hope to have a tag in my pocket at some point in the future.

Just found this site/forum and thought I'd throw in a posting. I finished my area 3 hunt on 9/14/14 by taking a 9 yr. old, full curl, beautiful chocolate ram. I've been extremely fortunate in that this was my 3rd Wyo. bighorn tag. My first was in 1986 in area 2. Backpacked in, was naive and never got a ram. Second tag was in '92. Again area 2, backpacked in to same drainage and took a nice 7 yr. old ram. I'll be more than willing to share info/ideas/tips for anyone who might need it since I'll likely not hunt sheep in Wyo. again unless I win the Supertag lottery or the Powerball so I can buy a Governor's tag!

are you a resident or non resident? The best area will depend on what type of hunt you want to have. Area 19 is tough access but has some big rams and will take max to draw. Area 12 on the west slope of the Bighorns is a pickup truck hunt if you pay the trespass fee. lots of rams with some Montana genetics. A 180 class ram taken in 2013 and a legally blind hunter got a 160+ ram in 14. He saw over 100 rams on the 2 day hunt. Quota is going up to 4 in 2015. Area 1 is coming back in quality with a large ram taken in 14. Area 2 is the roughest country but producing great rams every year. Area 4 is down for numbers from past years. area3 is still producing nice rams but not like its best years 5-10 years ago. I will draw in area 5 this year, hunted it many times and it is down from years past but size seems to be holding. Always lots of sheep and plenty of country to separate yourself from other hunters. Also sheep in non wilderness areas to go unguided for nonresident. Area around Newcastle has plenty of sheep but few tags and will take max points and won't have a nonresident tag every year. Lots of good outfitters for main sheep areas,1-5. Look at 7D ranch, Meade Dominick. Has taken some of the largest rams in WY last several years but more than that you will have a great hunt with quality people and great equipment. Check out the WY Wild sheep foundation web site for more great outfitters. Look at the past rampage issues for sheep hunt stories. [http://www.wyomingwildsheep.org/]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.